Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Faladriand - a large work in progress.

I did? Oh that's good

I think you might eventually be interested in a handy little piece of software made by NASA, called G-Projector. It has a totally, er... 'functional' interface (if you know what I mean), but it really does help to visualize the real appearance of your world.

All you have to do (once you work out what all the controls are for), is load your equirectangular map into it, and you can change the projection to whatever you so please.

For me it helps to get a better image in my mind of where everything is, since you can use a real world outline superimposed on your map to give you just as many mental reference points as you like.

It also shows up any polar adjustments you may need to make to stop a map that was born flat from looking like the land is pinched at the poles when spherical

Guild Expert

I agree with Mouse G.Projector is very useful and it's free and easy to use, just be prepared to make major changes if you're going to go that route. I thought I had something solid two months ago but G.Projector told me otherwise. The thing I've learnt is don't get too detailed too quickly, jumping back and forth through projections can take some time so I've started just working with giant blobs, the detail will have to come later until the distortions are straightened out. Just out of curiosity because I've been following this thread I threw you're map into G.Projector I hope that's ok...I won't post the results unless you tell me to but you have major distortion at the poles and at the top of the east most continent but the main big one seems ok. If you're going for all out realism you'll more then likely need to redo you're relief.

Funnily enough I was thinking of your troubles, Kacey, when I decided not to mention G-Projector in my first post on this thread.

I thought...'One thing at a time'

@tatteredglyph - I hope I haven't mentioned it too early and put you off! And btw - the map you put into G-Projector does have to be exactly twice as wide as it is tall, or the thing just spits it out again and tells you its not an equirectangular map.
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-30-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Funny you two should mention G Projector! When looking how to find landmass area and the like, I did stumble upon it. But I need Java on my computer. And I honestly haven't trusted Java in years. Though, if everyone suggests it's safe to download, I'll give Java another try to get my hands on that program. It sounds extremely handy, especially in my case!

Oh, no discouragement here! I'm really excited jumping head first into all this. I knew this kind of thing was going to be a lot of work - and I have the free time, so no harm. Thank you both, and I'll be working on something today - progress shot will come later tonight!

@kacey
    That's a good idea. I think I wanted too much information, so when I jumped into it, I didn't really fully take in "hey, world maps actually don't have that much detail."

Trustworthiness of Java...

Hmmm. Its not a question I've ever really thought about before. I suppose it depends on your OS - and of course your previous experiences with it.

I have Windows on a standard laptop. Are you using a different OS and type of computer?

Yeah, I remember I had problems and the moment I uninstalled and quit having Java on my computer, things were resolved (and it was the only thing that could have been the problem, I had eliminated everything else). As for my OS, same as you. I'm using Windows 10 on a standard Laptop. At least if I download Java, and it tries to wreck havoc on my computer, I can easily just uninstall it. So no harm in trying again.

So, I downloaded G Projector, and upon unzipping and trying to run the program - it immediately told me not to run the program. That it could put my PC at risk. Uh, is it possible that I'm downloading it from the wrong source? I got the download from the NASA website.
    Last edited by tatteredglyph; 09-30-2017 at 03:53 PM.

That's really weird. I have Win 10 as well, but I didn't have any problems at all.

I rely on the built in antivirus, Windows Defender. It seems pretty good so far. Maybe your antivirus takes a different view on the software.

I don't really know what to suggest.

Maybe Kacey would be kind enough to upload an image for you just to give you some kind of initial idea. You would need to ask her though. We're mostly pretty careful about respecting other people's ownership around here

I have Windows Defender as well as Malwarebytes. Maybe Malwarebytes is causing the over-protection. Either way, to be honest, I don't want to risk it. A quick Google search and I was able to actually find another projector tool, hopefully it'll be just as good - we'll have to see! I'm downloading it now and will post an update when I play around with it.

EDIT: Just noticed it says I might have to download Java, lol. I can't escape Java.

EDIT #2: Yup, required Java. I'm Googling this, because there has to be something I can do.
    Last edited by tatteredglyph; 09-30-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Guild Expert

Windows 10 has blocked things for me too it can be a pain sometimes, but it downloaded G.Projector just fine. I'm curious what's the other software that you found? If you still have issues with java and still want you're map reprojected just shout, I don't mind one bit helping out, it would take only a couple of minutes to do.

Maybe there is a little confusion going on here?

When you go to the G-Projector download page, if you click to download it takes you to a second page where you chose which version of the download you want (Win/Mac etc). If you look at the rest of that page it give a link to download the runtime Java that is necessary to run the program.

Quite separately, I found (I've been googling as well) that there is an adware virus that causes false Java update popups to appear every time you open your browser. I don't think the two things are connected in any way.

Maybe your unpleasant experience with Java before now is connected with this false update popup virus?

Adware is a total PITA to cope with. I accidentally got one on my system a few months ago. While it didn't do my files or my computer any harm, it used up all my monthly allowance of broadband in half the usual time, and made everything run really slowly.

Does that sound familiar - with reference to your previous unpleasant experience with Java?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast