Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A project abandoned

Default A project abandoned

OK, a little backround for this one:

When I'm mapping my own settings I tend to make several versions of the maps. Partly because as I invent more, the world evolves and the previous map becomes outdated. And partly because I'm such a perfectionist I never seem to be able call anything done... So here we have yet another go at my Lands of Syr ("Syrinmaat") setting.

This map, as you can probably tell, is not finished. I've been working on it on-and-off for a couple of months now, but tonight I'm officially pulling the plug on it.

It originally started as a style experiment, as I had to be without my Cintiq for a week and wanted to explore what I could do without it. Even though I really like certain aspects of it - I'm quite fond of the texture and how the decorations on the sea area came out - I just realized the overall look of it just doesn't fit the feeling I'm going for at all. Syr is supposed to be a late-iron-age-ish setting filled with dark forests and mysterious ancient magic, and I don't think the map conveys any of that. Not to mention that I've also been working on this stupid piece for too long now, without making any real progress in weeks, and I feel completely stuck.

So... yeah. I won't be finishing this one. But since it was quite far along, and like I said, there are things I like about it, I decided to share it here anyway. I'll certainly keep this style in mind for future projects, but for now, I really do need to move on before I go totally insane.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SyrUnfinishedCG.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	8.68 MB 
ID:	99648
    Last edited by Kellerica; 09-29-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

What a beautiful 'bloodstain' colour scheme

The mountains break all the rules - being tilted at 45 degrees like that, but I really like them!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The mountains break all the rules - being tilted at 45 degrees like that, but I really like them!
    Heh... Yeeeah. Like I said, I really was just experimenting with the mountains. They originally started out as Tear's Saderan type of reliefs, but then I just kinda kept on piling stuff above them. The original reliefs were long since merged into an un-editable mess when it occured to me they weren't really optimal. I couldn't be bothered to remake them, so I just thought 'screw it' and carried on

I did have fun with this at first, I'll give it that at least.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

That's a real cool may even if it's not what you wanted. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when you do get a map as you want!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Excellent map ! I love the mountains ! Great job !!!!

Guild Expert

It looks great Kelleri! I always get excited when you post something new because it doesn't happen very often, and this one, like you're others is outstanding as always. I really like the colours, and those mountains are really awesome. I really like this style! I hope to see more like it.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I hope you come up with a setting that this DOES work for... because it's awesome. I love the small perfect heraldry, the delicate traceries of the rivers, and you know I'm all about those kind of mountains!

Yeah, this looks great. I like the land shape.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I actually like it very much Kelleri. I don't understand what Mouse is talking about mountains beeing tilted by 45 degrees. They looks so nice that i will take that piece of art and place in my inspirational folder.
    This is a good experiment and i would urge you to continue it. If not this map, then use what you have learn in that piece for your next map.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Hi Kelleri.

If this project is of a quality that you are willing to just abandon then i'm a little awestruck/intimidated by your standards. It is (was?) amazing! Awesome work and may it rest in peace.
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast