Thread: Looking for a reference map for a self-published fantasy novel

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Looking for a reference map for a self-published fantasy novel

Hello! I recently finished writing and otherwise formatting the first book in a fantasy series, but now I need a map to put at the front for the readers to reference.

I'm attaching a pencil sketch/map of the region described as the setting for the book, a zoomed-out map of the continent (just for context), and a list of the locations/features I actually need labelled on the commissioned piece. The map essentially comprises two kingdoms (a current empire to the south, and a former kingdom divided into 7 provinces to the north). The scale on my sketch was 50 miles to an inch, though it was originally drawn on 11x14 paper.

I am just looking for a greyscale map, as the interior of the book does not have color. As it is intended for print publication, the minimum resolution should be 300 DPI, and the trim size of the book is 6x9 inches (map will fill one full page). A final .jpg file should be sufficient for my needs. Clarity for the reader is a higher priority than preciseness of scale. My main concern is that readers can find the places mentioned in the story, and appreciate a general sense that travelling from Point A to Point B might realistically take X amount of time.

I am hoping to have the map completely by the end of October, if possible, but that's not a hard deadline.

I need the right to use the image for commercial purposes, though the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio (but not to exploit it for commercial gain).

As a self-published author I don't have a huge budget, but I can gladly offer my thanks, $50 (via PayPal), and of course credit on the book's copyright page.

Thanks and appreciation in advance to this entire, wonderful community of artists.
    -Phil (you can reach me by email at my screen name at hotmail)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elisahd Map (Shiver the Moon).png 
Views:	96 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	99750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shiver the Moon Map.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	421.0 KB 
ID:	99751Map Guide.doc
    Last edited by Philly-A-Soul; 10-03-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: update

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Hi Phil,

I would like to drop you an email - could you please provide your address? Your budget is a little low for most folks, but further info will follow by email.

Many thanks,
    James

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Hey Phil,

I could be interested in the project. Here you have some samples of my latest works::

Let me know if you are interested in my services. You can reach me at: info -at- versakestudio -dot- com

Regards,

Antonio Frade