Thread: Looking for a map for a fantasy novel - publication date October 24th

Default Looking for a map for a fantasy novel - publication date October 24th

Project Description:
    Fantasy world map for publication in print and ebook novels. The world has many locations and aspects, so I would love to work with a cartographer who would be open to future project commissions. However, due to the tight turnaround, at this point only one map is required. The book is coming out on October 24th, so ideally the map would be finished by October 20th. I apologize for the tight deadline--the original map designer fell through!

Design Concept:
    The current map required is of a continent comprised of nine kingdoms. The scale will be very large, so no city details except locations/names would be required. The land includes several mountain ranges, a desert, a set of marshlands, a rainforest, a region of farmland, and a great expanse of plains. Plus fjords and quite a bit of coastline. The country is a medieval setting and the map style should look appropriate for the time period.

Due to my lack of artistic skill, I will provide a couple of reference maps (a rough map is attached below, but a more detailed and slightly updated version will be sent to the chosen designer), one with country borders and names, and another with more details about the geography and types of land.

Technical
    The map will need to display well in a 5.25 x 8" paperback book, in black and white. The country names will need to be legible, so the map can't be too cluttered. A color version could be required in the future, as a collectible for book fans, but will be commissioned as a separate project from the artist. The size should therefore be at least 300 dpi. A partly colored (parchment-style or similar) map would also be appropriate, as long as it looks equally good in black and white.

Copyright:
    I will require unlimited and unrestricted reproduction rights for the map.
    I will require the right to use the map for commercial purposes, including within the novels and sold as a separate book-related promotional product in other formats (bookmarks, posters, etc.).
    The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of a portfolio, but not for commercial gain.

Deadline:
    I will need the finished map by October 20th. I'm very sorry for such a tight turnaround. Ideally I would be able to see a draft a couple days earlier in case any minor revisions were required.

Comparison maps
    Please see attached maps for examples of the style I am after.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	middle-earth map.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	99804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINAL_REVISED_Hyranden_The_Eastern_Lands_72dpi.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	380.2 KB 
ID:	99803

Payment:
    I am happy to pay for quality. I see this as an investment in the future of my series, so I do not have a specific budget in mind--I would like to see your quote first and examples of your previous work to match. The amount is payable via Paypal upon delivery of the final files.

Contact
    R.J. Vickers
    Please send me an email at r.j.vickers(at)comcast(dot)net if you wish to help me with this project.

Please see details about my previous novels at http://www.rjvickers.com/

Rough map sketch
    As a starting point, please see the below concept map (more detailed versions to be provided to the designer).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kinship Thrones map.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	99805

You've got mail! (:

This job has been taken. Thank you so much, everyone!! Could someone help me mark it as taken? I can't figure out how. Thanks!