Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The border at the river

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wip The border at the river

Hello !
    Here's something peculiar... it 's not a map, it's a kind of a landscape. Actually, it's an image that popped in my mind as I was closing my eyes, the other day. So, I tried to draw it.. It makes no sense, historically speaking, but I found some poetry in it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The border at the river.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	99854

I still have to draw colors and shadows, but with my computer gone, it's not easy... I'll have to wait it comes back from repair to go on, I think....

Oh my!

I have dreams like that. How strange they are!

Have you noticed how they sort of mimic a backbone?

I don't mean to remind you of things you are probably trying not to think about, but I noticed in myself a tendency to have weird dreams about apparently meaningless things after a major operation I had 25 years ago. It took me a while to realise it, but the imagery was symbolic of the problem I had, and was part of the healing process - my subconscious mind coming to terms with the bad stuff.

Its all very strong and green and growing. Maybe things are getting a little better?

I hope they are
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-06-2017 at 01:16 PM.

These are clearly emergency shelters for the local community if the Vampire Wars start up again. Pile into the towers, burn the bridge behind you, and you're safely surrounded by running water to keep the vampires away until the Day Knights can arrive to actually deal with them. Not historical, but they can make perfectly good fantasy sense.

Or maybe they were built just to look cool (which they do). Once you have enough wealth concentrated in the hands of a ruler, that can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh my!

I have dreams like that. How strange they are!

Have you noticed how they sort of mimic a backbone?

I don't mean to remind you of things you are probably trying not to think about, but I noticed in myself a tendency to have weird dreams about apparently meaningless things after a major operation I had 25 years ago. It took me a while to realise it, but the imagery was symbolic of the problem I had, and was part of the healing process - my subconscious mind coming to terms with the bad stuff.

Its all very strong and green and growing. Maybe things are getting a little better?

I hope they are
    It crossed my mind too... I know I draw the backbone fortress fully aware of the meaning of it, but here, I couldn't figure out what it meant, but you may be right. Things are going better, but very slowly...and it still hurt a lot whenever I do a move that I shouldn't. The difficult part is that those moves are never the same...
    I just have to be patient, I guess...
    Thanks for your kind words anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    These are clearly emergency shelters for the local community if the Vampire Wars start up again. Pile into the towers, burn the bridge behind you, and you're safely surrounded by running water to keep the vampires away until the Day Knights can arrive to actually deal with them. Not historical, but they can make perfectly good fantasy sense.

Or maybe they were built just to look cool (which they do). Once you have enough wealth concentrated in the hands of a ruler, that can happen.
    That's a good explanation, I like it ! It makes me think about the refuges you find along some road between mainland and islands. Those roads are covered by the sea when the tide is high, so there are some refuges along the road in case you are caught by the tide...

Not sure about the symbolism, but it's a lovely drawing.

Personally, I think there's something lurking under those calm, calm waters.....

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Not sure about the symbolism, but it's a lovely drawing.

Personally, I think there's something lurking under those calm, calm waters.....
    That’s a very good idea ! I like that... giants water snakes !!

Hehe I like your thinking!

Oh, such a cool idea! And nicely done. I'm looking forward to see the giant water snakes .

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Oh, such a cool idea! And nicely done. I'm looking forward to see the giant water snakes .
    I think I'll only suggest the snakes instead of showing them.... easy escape for coward apprentice in illustration !

I think hinting at something in the water, rather than clearly drawing it, will only add to the atmosphere, and make it even better. Your imagination will always terrify you more than an illustration will!

Maybe some ominous snake-shaped shadows in the water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast