Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2017 Challenge: The Story of Golthra and Iriana

I enjoyed https://imgur.com/hNq5CpQ as a fun reference. I'm not sure what their exact system was, but it seems to be pretty popular.

A turkey that not only self bastes but self roasts too?

Shall I bring some Paxo?

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Dragons typically have no or four legs, though other arrangements are possible. Two legs plus wings makes a wyvern, however, which is fairly exactly determined as a heraldic beast. Dragons are much more loosely defined. They are more or less reptilian, but the "more or less" covers a wide range, from big crocodilians to what are basically long, scaly cats with wings. Some breath fire. Some breath deadly poison. Other breath weapons have been added in modern gaming, but those two are traditional. Size varies from about man-sized (even a bit smaller) to town-sized. In short, if your dragon looks a bit like a turkey, just make sure it has some scales, probably a long reptilian tail in place of a turkey tail, and have some fire shoot out of the beak, then nobody can fairly say that it isn't a dragon, even if it does not fit their picture of a dragon.

Some dragon portrayals in more modern works have drawn on dinosaurs for inspiration. Add recent work in paleontology and you have every right to put some feathers on your dragon, if you like.
    OMGoodness! Thank you rdanhenry

So bearing in mind the mighty Rex, my turkey might not be as dreadful as I thought it was...

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I enjoyed https://imgur.com/hNq5CpQ as a fun reference. I'm not sure what their exact system was, but it seems to be pretty popular.
    LOL! I loved it. So many different types of menacing reptile! Thanks Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    A turkey that not only self bastes but self roasts too?

Shall I bring some Paxo?
    Well... as long as you prepare the bird, of course you can

Now after all of that, this is going to seem really tame, but I... chickened... out of doing the dragon tonight, and tried to work out some kind of border. Took me ages to work out a braid pattern, but here it is (kind of) - pattern drawn in CC3, imported into GIMP (which is pretty awkward where drawing geometric shapes is concerned), and pasted down as something for me to trace. That should keep me quiet for a couple of days before I have to start doing the dragon!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golthra and Iriana 03.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	5.17 MB 
ID:	99936

I like it. And the parchment texture too.

Thank you, Straf

To try and at least partially make up for failing to produce a recognisable dragon tonight, I've worked out the border to a point where I can leave it and move on to the map itself.

Not sure about the colours...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golthra and Iriana 04.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	5.19 MB 
ID:	99942

That must have taken ages to weave all of those ribbons together like that

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hmmm. I wasn't sure about the color at first, but the more I looked at it, the more it grew on me. I vote thumbs up.

Nice! I especially like the parchment with that lovely top line of text and the border is pretty, too. I'm really curious what you'll do with the dragon. Good luck and have fun with it!

All the description of turkey dragon things in here got me inspired and totally sidetracked this evening. And I need practice so... thanks for the excuse to draw a weird turkey-inspired dragon thing. More accurately, a naked turkey dragon thing.. seeing as it doesn't have scales or feathers at the moment. https://chashio.deviantart.com/art/T...olor-708791831 if you want to see it. Now I'm getting off this computer and going to bed. yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    That must have taken ages to weave all of those ribbons together like that
    Oh yes. I have a few ribbon cuts to deal with now, but such is the plight of a lowly ribbon worker...

(Actually, I created a short segment and tiled it all around the edge It was working out how to get the edge bits right that took all the time)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Hmmm. I wasn't sure about the color at first, but the more I looked at it, the more it grew on me. I vote thumbs up.
    Thanks D

I know what you mean about the colour. It looks really pink-orange in the thumbnail, but different when you look at the full size.

The colours may change quite a lot over the course of the month, which is fairly typical for me

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Nice! I especially like the parchment with that lovely top line of text and the border is pretty, too. I'm really curious what you'll do with the dragon. Good luck and have fun with it!

All the description of turkey dragon things in here got me inspired and totally sidetracked this evening. And I need practice so... thanks for the excuse to draw a weird turkey-inspired dragon thing. More accurately, a naked turkey dragon thing.. seeing as it doesn't have scales or feathers at the moment. https://chashio.deviantart.com/art/T...olor-708791831 if you want to see it. Now I'm getting off this computer and going to bed. yep.
    LOL! Outstanding! You are the most astonishing artist, Chashio

Thank you

And as you head for bed, I rise to work.

See you all later!

(and I promise I'll start drawing the map when I get back)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thank you, Straf

To try and at least partially make up for failing to produce a recognisable dragon tonight, I've worked out the border to a point where I can leave it and move on to the map itself.
    That's a very colorful border. It impresses one immediately with the wealth and importance of the issuer of the document. An excellent choice for this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    I love it! That should strike terror in the hearts of "heroes" grown complacent about fighting over-grown lizards!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast