Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2017 Challenge: The Story of Golthra and Iriana

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You MAY continue on the novel you started.. just need to write 50.000 words more... and you DON'T edit.. .that's, as rdanhenry says, for after .. so you should make it easily
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I can see my built in 'editor head' getting its pants in a twist over that.... Oops! Editor alert! Mixed metaphor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Chashio! I just thought of something.

If it's true that a 'picture paints a thousand words', then that would mean a picture book of 50 pictures in a month.

I wonder if they would allow it?
    Haha! That made me grin. I'm still grinning. I may try it whether or not I share it officially... actually, I don't even know what the official rules/guidelines or sharing involves... I looked at it years ago and have since forgotten. Ah well, the point is to do it.

My writing technique IS basically editing so NaNoWriMo would be a great challenge for me at some point. I'm doing Inktober at the moment to get more comfortable with pen and ink. Oh, I need to update my sig to include instagram, which is where I'm posting those if anyone cares to see some cute, random illustrations. I am so busy right now.. none of my thoughts are joining together in a sense-making way. sigh. I'm gonna go draw a picture for day 9...
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Expert

Interesting start, I'm with some of the others on the candy coloured border, but the weaving looks nice and you always seem to pull it together in the end, crazy colours and all. I don't think you need to go all the way around with it though, it would also look nice just on the left side, I saw a map once that did that just beside the text and it really looked sharp, I'll see if I can find it. And also I don't think you need to expand the canvas at all, this looks perfectly suited to a portrait oriented regional map, I've actually been quite fond of some tall looking maps, a little out of the ordinary but nice all the same. Sorry I didn't comment earlier, I've been following along like always, but it's not always easy to keep up with you're threads they seem to take off really quickly and I've had a hard time keeping up lately.

Right you lot....

Here is a wider, colour adjusted version with the promised beginnings of the map.

I did most of this last night, but fell asleep, only to be woken by a tawny owl sat on my roof at 4 am!

Still really tired, and might just get another hour's sleep if I just dump this and head back for bed again

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golthra and Iriana 05.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	6.40 MB 
ID:	99996

I think I really like these colours. They probably won't change much, unless they become a problem as I carry on working.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice mountain, smooth work ... the color scheme seems a bit to purple and dark to me, swallowing the text a bit now and taking something out of the colored border.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Interesting start, I'm with some of the others on the candy coloured border, but the weaving looks nice and you always seem to pull it together in the end, crazy colours and all. I don't think you need to go all the way around with it though, it would also look nice just on the left side, I saw a map once that did that just beside the text and it really looked sharp, I'll see if I can find it. And also I don't think you need to expand the canvas at all, this looks perfectly suited to a portrait oriented regional map, I've actually been quite fond of some tall looking maps, a little out of the ordinary but nice all the same. Sorry I didn't comment earlier, I've been following along like always, but it's not always easy to keep up with you're threads they seem to take off really quickly and I've had a hard time keeping up lately.
    Thank you - and sorry Kacey! Didn't see your comment when I was depositing the last version all in a rush!

I have a sort of vision of what this is going to look like, but that doesn't mean its going to get there without a considerable amount of 'fidgeting'. And don't worry about following things. I have the same problem now I'm working, so I must appear to be rather introverted compared to before!

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Very nice mountain, smooth work ... the color scheme seems a bit to purple and dark to me, swallowing the text a bit now and taking something out of the colored border.
    Thanks Tilt

I had two options on representing the night time. It was either draw stars, or actually darken the map, a bit like Jo did with his last month's entry.

Now I look at it again I can see what you mean, but I still rather like it. We'll see what happens as I carry on

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Shaping up nicely, Sue. You always have a masterful touch when it comes to lighting and shadow so although it may seem a tad dark now, I just know it's gonna be a beauty!

Thanks GLS

The rate this month is zipping by, I'm going to have to get my skates on to get all the drawing done in time for about a week of fiddling around with the colours at the end. I really appreciate all the confidence everyone is showing in me, but I have a nagging feeling that this one is just possibly going to be one of my bloopers

Guild Expert

The shading looks nice so far Mouse, but are you able to set you're pen pressure to size in gimp? I'm finding the ends of the line work to be a little blunt, if you're able to set you're pressure to size you can tapper out the ends of the line a bit at the bottoms of the mountains, it can help to ground them a little. Check out Diamonds map of the western realms it's a beautiful example of what I'm talking about, it doesn't take a whole lot of extra effort but can really bump up the quality of mountain line work in my opinion and I think it's key to really knocking out some nice mountains.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast