Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2017 Challenge: The Story of Golthra and Iriana

Thanks Kacey - and yes I have

Those were just a 1 minute doodle done with the mouse just to check I'd got the layer settings right for the effect I was after - an almost chocolatey look to them. Its a grain merge, instead of an overlay or multiply. It seems to fall half way between the two effects. Multiply was too grey, and overlay was too orange.

The proper hills and mountains will be a lot more detailed than they are. The lines will only be about half that width on average. That's why I really do have to get my skates on to get the drawing finished and give myself at least a week at the end to do the shading and colouring.

I lost my way with this map over a week ago now, and I'm not sure I've managed to find it again, but I've decided to continue pottering on with it for a bit and just see how it goes.

This is some mega rough sketching, and a change to the colour theme.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golthra and Iriana 09.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	6.31 MB 
ID:	100162

EDIT: LOL! and oops! I see I have a couple of sticky keys on my keyboard. Sorry about that. I will put it right before the next WIP
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-15-2017 at 06:38 PM.

You know the really weird thing about all of this? Every WIP you have posted has a different feel to it... meaning you could post three different maps with each one. And I like all three of them! I will admit, the one I liked the best was the one with the purple in it, but that's just me. I still love what you have here, I especially like the border across the top, and I LOVE the font you have chosen!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oooohhh.. there be dragons ... looking great Mouse, I like the new header for your document
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks Storm

That's what I mean by losing my way. Most of my maps wobble a bit in the beginning between conflicting ideas and styles, but settle down and behave themselves in the end. This one just won't settle down and decide to be 'this', or 'that', but keeps jumping around and trying to be both at the same time.

I liked the purple one too, but it proved to be too impractical with the text, though I might bring a day/night line back towards the end. I don't know yet.

The font is Bridgnorth, free from dafont.com (I think - I visit too many font sites to be sure right now)

EDIT: Ninja'd by Tilt... which will teach me for ninjaing Falconius yesterday...

Thanks Tilt

I've done a tiny bit more, but not enough to warrant another update just yet. Maybe tomorrow sometime
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-16-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm glad you didn't give up!

Thanks D

I almost did, and there's still a chance I might not finish it because of the delay I caused myself by thinking that it was 'dead in the water'.

I think what really happened was that I suffered a sense of humour loss about the cheesy story I made up down the side, and it all started to unravel from there.

I'm back on it now though, and hope to do an update before the end of today

The dragon took ages, and the body STILL looked like a turkey, so I decided to just keep the head. Having made a shield for Golthra, I then needed one for the Murray family. I need all the time I've got left to work on the map itself, so I looked for a suitable clip art and found one here.

The text was rapidly disappearing into the map as I added the ocean colours, so I put it on a separate piece of paper and decided to make this a commemorative map of the event, but without giving too much of the story away - hence the comment at the bottom left.

Besides, if this was something that happened in the space of a single night, there wouldn't have been a richly embellished map, but just a quick explanation and invitation - probably handed out to the most likely lads in the square where the announcement was made after the firing of the palace guns.

I also got rid of most of the ribbon and went with Kacey's suggestion of having it only down one side. The map was starting to look quite a mess with it all around the outside.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golthra and Iriana 10.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	6.47 MB 
ID:	100235

looking great, Mouse! I love the crests!!! Keep it going!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Thank you Storm

I seem to be doing this map completely backwards - finishing touches first! LOL! The map itself still has to be drawn, shaded and coloured.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast