Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2017 Challenge: The Story of Golthra and Iriana

Default October 2017 Challenge: The Story of Golthra and Iriana

I had an idea that became a sort of story. Most stories have already been written at least once, so this time I decided to go with the classic 'plea from the distressed father of a kidnapped princess' story (except that she's a lady and he's a lord), and try to make a map that included most of the Challenge words in both the story and the names of the places on the map.

This is the text I will arrange over the map:

My beloved people of the southern Isle

The palace guns have been fired to summon you beneath the stars this night, for our mistress, the Lady Iriana, has been kidnapped by Golthra, the Wizard of the Axis, and whisked away all alone by his evil magic to the Temple of the Dark Knowing, where he intends to make my beautiful child his bride.

I call upon you - all our sons and heroes, to leave your hearth and take up your sword and shield - to leave our port and set your sails for the freezing lands - there to travel the wandering road till you find and rescue the fairest gem of our land - my daughter, my child, Iriana.

The temple where she is being held is hidden within the legendary Midnight Fortress, where a fearsome dragon with silver armour and piercing eyes of gold lies coiled about the walls.

May your Gods be with you, and keep you safe on your journey, for the wizard is like the wind in the moon. He is everywhere - in every lonely tavern, darkened house and secret cave across the empire. And beware, oh beware the shrill cry of the temple peacocks, for it is they who stir the dragon from his frozen slumber.

Go now, and I pray you be victorious!

Lord Murray of the Southern Isle

I think I got them all?

That was fun, Diamond

Now I guess I have to make the map to go with it
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-07-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Excellent start, Mouse ! I’ll be glad to see the map that goes with this very well written story !

Thank you Jo

I don't suppose you just happen to have any handy dragon drawing tips, do you?

No dragons yet, but we have....

Paper

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gothra and Iriana 01.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	99916

Title and text.

Thinking I might need to do a more elaborate border than I usually do for this one

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golthra and Iriana 02.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.82 MB 
ID:	99925

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I don't suppose you just happen to have any handy dragon drawing tips, do you?
    As I was once informed: "The fire is supposed to be coming out of the FRONT end!" And true dragons have 6 limbs: four legs and two bat-wings improbably pasted onto the shoulders. If it's got four limbs (front two like bat wings) and a scaly head, then it's not a dragon. And it should look like huge snake with legs and wings, except when it should look like a scaly cow or goat with legs and wings.

Wait, you probably meant that Question for - JO -, not Joe. Sorry.

LOL! Now I'm really confused! Thanks Joe

So my fire-breathing turkey has to have 6 legs, 2 wings, and be all coily like a snake?

*Mouse wanders off muttering to herself* Ok, so its kind of like a hybrid snake... centipede... turkey... bat... thing?

Well, all I can say is that must have been some party in the undergrowth!!!

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out a plaited border, and its not going well! Hope to have something to show before bedtime tonight. I've got work tomorrow, so it will be slow again then till Wednesday...

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

You still have the dragon we had for Guild City... it as a good model

You know... I forgot about that till now. Thanks Jo. Though I will try to use it as a model of what mine should look like - give or take a pair of legs and sufficient serpent-like length to coil around the fort

Dragons typically have no or four legs, though other arrangements are possible. Two legs plus wings makes a wyvern, however, which is fairly exactly determined as a heraldic beast. Dragons are much more loosely defined. They are more or less reptilian, but the "more or less" covers a wide range, from big crocodilians to what are basically long, scaly cats with wings. Some breath fire. Some breath deadly poison. Other breath weapons have been added in modern gaming, but those two are traditional. Size varies from about man-sized (even a bit smaller) to town-sized. In short, if your dragon looks a bit like a turkey, just make sure it has some scales, probably a long reptilian tail in place of a turkey tail, and have some fire shoot out of the beak, then nobody can fairly say that it isn't a dragon, even if it does not fit their picture of a dragon.

Some dragon portrayals in more modern works have drawn on dinosaurs for inspiration. Add recent work in paleontology and you have every right to put some feathers on your dragon, if you like.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast