Thread: Need map(s) for science fiction book to be published by end of October

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Need map(s) for science fiction book to be published by end of October

I have a science fiction novel that takes place on a foreign planet. I have maps I've been working on already, but they have some issues (example: wat r rivers?; not sure if the deserts would be nestled against the equator like they are, but there's an ocean too; etc...) and I've been struggling to bring them to the quality I need. My book's publishing date has already been delayed several weeks because of this. Unfortunately, I can no longer afford the time.

This is the first book in the series and I may need variations of the maps in the future (ie: focused on different places in the world). As such, I'd prefer an artist who is open to future commissions as well.

Subject
    There are two maps for this book:
    * Map of the full planet (Areth). This will have continents and major bodies of water labeled. The planet is roughly the size of Earth.
    * Zoomed in map on The Conostal Empire (named after the giant mountain range along it's eastern border). The Empire is roughly the size of Russia + China. Labeling is a tricky one -- the empire itself has 157 regions and there are countries around it BUT I only need places labeled that are mentioned in the book to make it easier to follow. This includes 3 regions, ~4 cities, and an island. We can work out the details for what would best work though.

I've attached the current state of my maps below. Photoshop and illustrator files are avaiable if needed.

Style
    The map should be black and white/greyscale, similar style to my attached maps. A more uniform angle would be helpful... (the trees are sort of sideways while the mountains are top down, which is annoying). You're welcome to make adjustments to climate, rivers, forests, etc. based on what would be more scientifically accurate (eg: there shouldn't be a river in the desert, and there's weird branching of the river in the north, etc). I'm a huge stickler about scientific accuracy. That said, let me know of any changes you make so I'm aware of them.

I've been using the TimeBurner font (http://www.1001fonts.com/timeburner-font.html) for labeling because it's what I use for the book title. You don't need to use this. However, whatever font you use should match well with this font. This is a sci-fi/psychological thriller, so fantasy and Tolkein-esque fonts would not suit the story.

Quality & Size
    Professional quality, 300 dpi
    Both maps should fit on a 5.25" x 8" book, with the top/bottom of the maps running lengthwise. Text must also be legible.

Time Constraints
    My ideal deadline is October 16th so I can keep my schedule to publish October 27th (I need to order/review proof copy), but I know it's not much time. PM if you think it would take longer.

Copyright
    I will require unlimited and unrestricted rights of reproduction.
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, whether this be in the book series, promotional content of the series, etc.
    The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of their portfolio but may not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Payment
    I will pay for quality. Please send me a quote along with a portfolio of past work.

Current state of my maps
    I apologize for the weirdness...I'd like to ditch the grey-over on non-Empire countries in favor of proper labels, but this is all I have right now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Areth (2).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	99889
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conostal.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	774.3 KB 
ID:	99890

EDIT:
    Contact information
    dotkaimail -- at -- gmail -- com
    Last edited by domianCreis; 10-07-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Hey domianCreis,

I might be interested in this project. You can have a look at my portfolio to get an impression of my work and if you are interested you can contact me at info [at] danielsmaps [dot] com.

I hope to hear from you soon.

-Daniel

Hi domianCreis,

As it is, you cannot use the PM system yet (you have to make five posts first) and you did not give an email address where we can write. I'd be interested in working with you on the maps. You can go take a look here to see my portfolio. If you like what you seen shoot me an email at this address : thomrey[at]hotmail[dot]com so that we can discuss more and talk about pricing.

Regards.

Thomas

Greetings, domianCreis,

I'm interested in creating maps for your novel. You can see my portfolio here and if you find that my style fits your needs, feel free to contact me at shallteclex--at--gmail--com.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Taken.

Thanks to all who replied!