Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: October 2017 Challenge: Against the Peacock Throne

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I figured I better show some progress on this so you all don't think I'm dead in the water...

I hear you guys about the bevel effect on the heraldry. I'm actually going to change that out anyway, and the new ones will be much more 'integrated', I hope.

Disregard the thick black line on the map; it's a place holder for the first part of the quest. Eventually it will be a semi-transparent white dashed line showing the route the heroes take in their quest. The boxes will each contain info on a key part of the journey.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PeacockThrone6.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	100434  

It's all so beautiful

I would say the rest of us are almost certainly vying for second place

I would have to agree, although, Mouse, you might give him a run for his money!

Diamond, as always your map does not disappoint! I love the colors, and the character wheel at the top! I really love the font you are using! And I like the shields the way they are, but that's just personal preference, I admit. Your landmasses are always so intricate! I look forward to seeing this finished!
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 10-22-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: accidentally hit enter key
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Okay, update time. (I sacrificed a precious hour of free time that I could have used to watch Stranger Things to work on this!)

Again, the artwork in the box (and artwork yet to come) is not mine - it was gleaned from various Paizo & WotC products and is in no way, shape, or form, my property.

How legible is the text in that first Quest box?

edit: Forgot to add - the banner template is the custom one Abu Lafia made for me some time ago - all hail his mastery!

The first of the gems has been discovered, but now Shahzor the Black and his gang know our heroes are out there pursuing something... he doesn't know what they're after (he doesn't know the significance of the gem found in the Golgarim Mountains) but any challenge to his rule cannot be tolerated. From now on, the adventurers will have his henchmen dogging their trail every step of the way.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	PeacockThrone8.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	100634  
    Last edited by Diamond; 10-28-2017 at 07:27 PM.

And another update. The story is starting to take shape now. This actually might turn into a good template for a book, should I actually psyche myself up for NaNoWriMo. I have no illusions that it will be great literature or anything other that what it is - a D&D adventure turned into a novel - but I happen to LIKE reading those sometimes.

Anyway, here's some more stuff.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	PeacockThrone9.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	100637  

Well you've certainly got my vote, D. This is just epic

Thanks, Mouse!

And more stuff. One of the party dead... another poisoned and at death's door...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	PeacockThrone10.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	100656  

I love the way the blocks up top and at the bottom are detailing the journey. You have done an excellent job, Diamond!!!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Blog Entries

Staring at this map for a while now. Loads of aspects to it are exquisite. Like Straf, I admire the mountains too - they are a shaded relief and surely must have been done via some kind of 3D greyscale source for PS to shade it so ill be looking up the tutorial that you mentioned to see how they were done. The lettering is also really superb. I am sure that PS must be doing much of the texturing for it because I see other maps with a similar style but even so, the same letters are not quite the same texturing so its very impressive. Just everything about it has a lot of care, skill and quality. Gonna take some going to knock this one off top spot.

Edit: This one I think:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=10192
    and yes a 3D DEM to shade on. Nice ! Interesting read.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-30-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Wow-y, Diamond. Stellar work. I adore the way the map conveys a story, and an exciting fantasy adventure-in-the-desert type deal at that. The map itself is also great, the muted colors really emphasizing the Middle-East-esque so-much-sand-it-gets-in-your-butt-crack setting. And the portraits of Our Heroes are super. Are they your own creation, or are they a rightful acquisition from some other source, if I my ask?

I do find the labeling somewhat off-putting, though. Particularly the main title and the gold nation-state names. The red base of the title is a little strong, and the bevel effect on the font is too garish, in my opinion. It really signals 'this is a Photoshop Layer Style', and doesn't mesh well with the overall feel of the map. The other labels, though, are just fine, so maybe subdue the effect a tad or remove it altogether? Just a suggestion.

Anyway, keep knockin' 'em out, slugger!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast