Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using GIMP to simulate tectonic plates movements

I've got to say I have high hopes for this stuff, Warlin. I downloaded it already and started experimenting with it - to the point where I'm now reconsidering some parts of my tectonics. I'd share results but it's early stages and I already messed things up to the point where I need to restart (blame on me, completely, as I had not read your tutorial properly).

Also, I'm quite curious to see how it will work on kacey's map.. Bring it on! (when you have the time, obviously, no pressure...)

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post

Any tectonics' that I planned previously over on my thread are still the same except one area which I'll upload in a little bit once I mark it up.

I appreciate you offering to do the tutorial with my map, can't wait to see what you come up with though I cringe a little because it probably means I'll have to change some of my planned topography... I hope these will be ok for you, let me know if you need better files.
    It's ok. And I will try not to disturb all the great work you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I've got to say I have high hopes for this stuff, Warlin. I downloaded it already and started experimenting with it - to the point where I'm now reconsidering some parts of my tectonics. I'd share results but it's early stages and I already messed things up to the point where I need to restart (blame on me, completely, as I had not read your tutorial properly).

Also, I'm quite curious to see how it will work on kacey's map.. Bring it on! (when you have the time, obviously, no pressure...)
    Thanks Pixie. Hope not to be too hard to understand. It's my first tutorial and i really don't know if my explanation are clear enough.
    Good luck with your try and I'll be back at it before the end of the year i hope.
    Cheers.

Is this tutorial still being updated? It's one of the best resources I've found for creating tectonic plates, and the erosion stuff looks really useful!

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hi Warlin,

I downloaded the Script-Fu files you provided and used them with GIMP to do some continent translations of my own. My only disappointment, however, is only being able to translate an "outline" as opposed to an "image." Do you know of any existing program, preferably one that is free, that will translate entire continents, rich with mountains and rivers and high-density detail, around an equirectangular plane, showing distortion as you approach the north or south poles? Currently I'm using GIMP's rectangular to polar function to do this, but it's not as versatile as I want it to be. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12