Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tree Bark - Looking for a texture or bitmap fill

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

In wood working terms that is called a Live edge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	live edge.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	100180  
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HollowTree.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	648.5 KB 
ID:	100183

If I wanted to create what I think you want to create, this is what I would do:

1) Create two fractal polygons, identical in shape, with the inner polygon about 95% the size of the outer polygon.

2) Fill the outer polygon with a bark texture.

3) Fill the inner polygon with a wood texture.

The graphic above is a quick-and-dirty (5 minutes) sample made with FM8.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

That's a better solution than what you asked, Storm.

If I made you a fill the way you described it above, with one side wood and the other side bark, you wouldn't be able to modify the join in any way at all. Plus CC3 would position the fill according to the coordinates of the origin for that particular polygon, and you wouldn't have sufficient control of where the join occurred in that polygon.

Far better done with two separate polys and two separate fills.

that actually makes more sense... if I can do that in dd3. So all I would really need is a generally rough wood grain fill (not plank as in for flooring) and one of those bark filled textures you have already created. And if I work a fractal polly, then copy to another sheet and enlarge it...I would just have to make sure they match up so that one flows into the other...

Then there is the root system. According to my husband, who actually designed the concept... the first 'floor' of the great tree dungeon is built throughout the root system. One of the things we, as players, were dealing with, getting through roots and vines that were growing at the base. And the encounters! I want to be able to show what we encountered in this great dungeon.

The next thing I have to figure out, is the branch system. As I get higher up into the great tree, I want to be able to show the branches... If I manage to pull this off, it will be a dungeon map that makes Soulburn Castle look like child's play!
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 10-16-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

@jpstod - yes! exactly!!! That is what I'm looking to do... the outer walls would be a live edge.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Hmmm....

I think, if you are looking at a lot of cross section roots and branches you might still want the plank view wood, since the end grain will only be exposed in vertical limbs and the trunk.

What's the texture that Mark is using in that sketch he did? Is that one of the CSUAC fills?

I don't have any end grain textures immediately to hand, but I'll go have a look at Textures.com, and see if I can bring back a link, since its for you

Here is an attempt at end grain wood to go with the 'plank view' wood above.

I think if I was using this texture I would use thick lines of it to draw around the inside wall, and maybe 2-3 of them in concentric rings on different sheets. That way I could use an HSL sheet effect to turn the ring closes to the bark darker and redder to mimic as closely as possible the live edge that jpstod was talking about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wood end 1.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	100193

Scale this one till you can only just see the little holes in it. The vessels are really tiny in real wood.

I'm not so sure the bark I've given you will be all that useful, since its all side view, not top view. It will be all right for the root and branch walls, but not necessarily for the trunk. However, we'll cross that bridge when you get there

This is getting to be pretty much single-map specific, so I'll move various specific suggestions that wouldn't be useful to others to private E-Mail.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

That's fine Mark, you still have my email, yes?

Anyway, this dungeon that we are going through is fairly epic. It's one I am really going to need to research, and test, and experiment on before I really get going on it. Right now I'm really just seeing what is out there that I can work with, and what i have to try to finagle myself since I'm not as artistically creative like some of you are

I'm going to have to give this textures.com place a good look. It might actually be a life saver for this!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I didn't find any suitable end grain textures there tonight, but its crammed full of loads of other stuff.

One thing you will have to learn how to do, however, is convert any that you like to png if you want to use them in CC3.

Its not complicated. Give me a shout if you need any help

Unfortunately no one else can do it for you, since although you can alter the texture and do anything you like with it (I frequently do), you aren't supposed to give your altered texture to anyone else. The other person has to do it for themselves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast