Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tree Bark - Looking for a texture or bitmap fill

Post Tree Bark - Looking for a texture or bitmap fill

My husband is currently running myself and our sons through a 2nd Ed D&D campaign. He's done a lot of research to make this an epic campaign for all of us, and along the way he's had to borrow, or adapt maps he's found for dungeons he's running us through. He isn't interested in learning to use cc3+ (he says that's my thing), but he doesn't want me to have advanced knowledge of the dungeons, because that isn't fair, and I do agree.

But right now he's running us through a 'dungeon' that I want to map after the fact, I want to bring his idea to life, so to speak. We are currently clearing out a corrupted temple that resides inside a Great Tree, as a matter of fact, this particular great tree is the Goddess of the Forest, the Life Tree for the forest we are in. The corruption is causing this great tree to die, and the forest along with it.

Anyway, I want to map this dungeon, and it's going to be massive. It starts underground with the root system, and goes up into the hollowed out tree.
    So I'm looking for a texture or a bitmap fill that would be the inside wood, and the outer bark for the walls. Does anyone have anything like that by any chance? Or know where I could get a texture like that?
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

don't have something like that laying around, but if you have a graphic program you might wanna take a light wooden color, add some noise (monochrome) and play around with motion blur and perhaps wiggle the lines a bit after with something like liquify (photoshop) or the like
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Expert

Have you tried textures.com you need to make an account but you get 15 textures a day for free with the option of purchasing larger sizes if you need them. I've downloaded allot of textures from them for my 3D work that were already tiled and everything.

If you can't find anything there that's exactly right, Storm, show me something that's kind of like you want, tell me what you want changed about it, and I'll see what I can do for you with Genetica

Blog Entries

Got a couple here if it will help. I prob have many more but I cant seem to find them now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	485.1 KB 
ID:	100163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	100164  

Since Storm uses CC3, I am assuming she will be looking for seamless textures.

Those are really nice photo's, Red. Are they yours?

(I'm thinking that with your permission I could produce a couple of seamless textures from them using Genetica - if they look like the right sort of thing to Storm)

I have some here that might be of use - all made in Genetica and Royalty free from me. I'm not really sure I'm getting the true picture of what you want. They're all png files, so no worries about conversion, and they are all 1024 px square - about right for CC3/+

I'll put them in my Room 1024 album later - when nothing much is happening in the Activity Stream, so I don't go and drown everyone else's comments in images at just the wrong moment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark Eucalyptus.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	100166 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark Gnarled.png 
Views:	42 
ID:	100167 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark Maple.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	100168 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark Mature.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	100169 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark Palm 1.png 
Views:	46 
ID:	100170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark Palm 2.png 
Views:	48 
ID:	100171 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark Pine 1.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	100172 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark Pine 2.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	100173 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark red pine 1.png 
Views:	52 
ID:	100174 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bark Scorched.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	100175 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wood pale rough 1.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	100176

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Those are really nice photo's, Red. Are they yours?
    Yup ! Go Crazy with then and see what you come up with !

that's actually really close, Mouse. What I'm actually looking for is bark on half of the fill, and wood grain on the other half... left half woodgrain right half treebark, so that when I build the walls, it looks like a hollowed out tree. Does that make sense?
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

I have a dying mulberry tree (bark borer infestation with accompanying fungal infection) in the front yard that has some of the bark fallen off. I just wandered out and took a picture of it. It's not a seamless texture, but I can take a few more and make it seamless if you're interested. Probably get better lighting, too. There's also a cottonwood in my backyard that's semi-hollow at the base and is otherwise pretty dead. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it tomorrow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0211a.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	100179
    OK, I looked at the picture closer and it's pretty awful. Probably something to do with wobbly hands, a dark night, and a built-in flash.
    Last edited by waldronate; 10-15-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast