Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help with the tectonics

Good luck with your project. Eventually, the experts on tectonics will see your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Maybe if I write up something along the lines of the "getting your rivers in the right place", "climatology for the uneasy", and "befriending the lonely mountain" articles it would count toward my penance. Start with concepts like gravity, how squishy rocks get when they're warm, and how those things work together to make a big ball where the direction of down depends on where you are. Move on to how warmer things rise, colder things sink, and how changes in melting point result in things separating as they warm and cool (that's plate tectonics right there). A quick discussion on exponential atmosphere density would lead to talk on how axial tilt and sunlight causes differential heating, which combines with the hot/cold discussion (and some phase change info) to get weather. Then weather gets to the water cycle, which uses heat to move water from oceans to land, where it flows back to the ocean (if it's on the surface, it's called rivers and lakes). Possibly even a quick digression into why there's no major river on the Yucatan peninsula, despite its size and amount of rainfall. That sounds like a lot of work, though, and I would probably need to get into the whole subject of map projections to understand why it's important to know your projection if you're trying to make a physically-based world. Maybe I'd need to talk about why continents get larger and slower as the world gets older (just like certain people!!) and why tectonic plates don't really move so much as rotate. Yep, definitely a lot of work...
    Clearly the syllabus for a science course...
    You would then have to add part 2: a syllabus for economics and history - including some anthropology, for those early stages of population and culture dispersion...
    Although, in fairness to The Guild, most of it is already on the tutorials in one way or another.

As for this actual thread...

Great Stallion, reading the recent threads by kacey and PaGaN will show you that getting a working model for tectonics is not as easy as asking for a ready made one in a forum.

Here's an alternative take for the area you worked on already (there's always more than one way)...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greystall_notes.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	100448
    Two plates, now moving together northwards. The northern boundary is oceanic crust subducting, making it something alongside the Tethys-Mediterranean closure.
    The boundary between the two plates (now inactive) is something of an eroded version of Himalayas. The eastern portion of mountains is still rising, since there is ongoing subduction of oceanic crust - like in the Andes.

Waldronate suggested some initial thoughts, and I am going to suggest a different path for the area you already worked on, but there's a lot of the walk that you can't expect to be done for you. I did have a look at your larger map, but couldn't make anything of it, furthermost because it lacks an appropriate projection (or, else, is incomplete).

So, to sound positive, here's a suggested route for you:
    Ignoring the out-of-character rant by waldronate , read his suggestions and what Azelor wrote about the missing poles. Address that. Then read about passive and active margins in plate tectonics (it's difficult to see coastlines in your map that resemble passive margins). Then make version 2.0 of your whole map. Then post it here...
    Last edited by Pixie; 10-23-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Guild Expert

Hey The Grey Stallion I think you're world looks pretty good, I really like some of the land forms you've created here especially in the animation, it looks really neat. I can't comment on the tectonics' as I'd probably give poor advice because I struggle with them myself. I've never heard of map to globe before it looks pretty useful so thanks for sharing that I'll have to give it a try. Can't wait to see where you go from here, you're world looks pretty interesting so far.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thank you. There is a lot of work to be done. I made this map as a draft 5 years ago and couldn't finalize it yet.

Hi Grey Stallion. I can save some time this week to work on your tectonic map. I'll see what I can do, according to the major ideas that waldronate has suggested.
    You have done some great job on your atlas style map. But it will be difficult to adjust tectonic to a such randomize mountains placement... anyway, nice job so far .

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thank you Warlin. My atlas style map is already absolute. It changed a lot since then. You should check these:

https://www.maptoglobe.com/r1zk2HzAW
    https://www.maptoglobe.com/HkUwRPzCW

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Stallion View Post
    Thank you Warlin. My atlas style map is already absolute. It changed a lot since then. You should check these:

https://www.maptoglobe.com/r1zk2HzAW
    https://www.maptoglobe.com/HkUwRPzCW
    I had a look at those too, but one needs some time to work things out. Be patient,

Also, are we supposed to write on top of that map you linked to? Kind of a collaborative effort?

EDIT:
    I did a first sketch.. here it is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch (1).png 
Views:	45 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	100699
    (seems like it only saved my lines, not your original file underneath it.. sorry. More on this image tomorrow.. )
    Last edited by Pixie; 10-30-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Purple is for ocean subduction. Red is for rifting, either continental rifting or mid-ocean ridges. Black is for orogens (that's mountains being formed or having been formed in the past).

Hi Grey Stallion. Here is the result of my recent work on your tectonic world map. Hope it please you.
    Cheers !
    Red lines for divergent, green ones for transform, violet for convergent or subduction boundaries. The reds arrows are for plate rotation speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TectonicGreyStallion.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	405.0 KB 
ID:	100908  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12