Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regional Map - Lettering Problem

Great maps, Valastyr

If this is PS and you still have layers, duplicate the parchment layer and raise it to just below the labels. Then create a mask from the labels and feather the mask outwards. Use the mask to create a layer mask on the new parchment layer, and what you should get as a result of that is a faint parchment halo around each letter that will give the illusion that the artwork below has been erased... whereas it in truth it remains untouched

That means you don't have any coloured halos that stand out from the rest of the map as being different.

EDIT: This is very much after about 4 more comments were added, but it just occurred to me that you could move your new parchment label outline layer down the stack till it was only just above the linework. Any colours you add would then also colour the new parchment layer, and the false erasing effect would only be on the linework.
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-29-2017 at 01:03 PM.

And thank you all again, I feel tremendously flattered (I need some ice for my face now), and am very grateful for the help.
    Diamond, you were absolutely right. I "tested" with just erasing some lines, but it would take forever to do it this way... I will try both your and mouses' technique next (thank you very much Mouse, for explaining it in detail!), and will see how it works out :>

Here's one other technique.. it's the one I use and requires that you know how to use masks.

Put all your labels in, avoiding as much as possible the linework, but if it needs to be on top of linework, leave it.
    Make a copy of all your lavels and merge it as a simple, raster, layer.
    Select the transparent area of that layer, and modify it to be a little smaller (2 to 10 px, depends on the size of the file, experiment... you can also feather a few pixels in the selection)
    Use it as a mask for your linework layer/group.

This works best if done after all the labeling, but it's quick enough to be redone everytime you change the labels.

If you are a lunatic-for-details-kind-of-person, you can also finetune the selection in the quick mask mode (I do that, but I'm that kind of person).

Take some well deserved reputation for your linework. I hope you keep at it and join the ranks of amazing "linework" artists we have around here already!
    Last edited by Pixie; 10-29-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Most of the techniques mentioned by the others seem very good and useful.

I can't add much new to it, though I thought I might tell you what I do in some detail. Maybe it works for you and maybe it won't.

I always have my linework group below my labels group. On top of everything I have a parchment texture on its own layer, with blending mode set to multiply an about 25-45% opacity.

For the labels I add a white stroke or outer glow (I think just a stroke would work best for your map). Just double click on the layer and it open a blending mode screen where you can add all the layer styles and see what they do. Because the parchment texture is on top of it, it blends with the rest of the terrain.

Alternatively, for a colored map, you could add an outer glow in the underlying color. This only works if the labels don't overlap different colors (for example water, forests and mountains).

I feel like I'm repeating what others said before, but I thought there were some helpful details missing. I hope this is any help to you (:

I'm really glad you asked that question now, Valastyr. I'm learning lots of different ways to do this one job from all the other suggestions

I honestly don't have anything new to add to the thread about the lettering, but I had to stop by and say that your lineart is GORGEOUS. I can't wait to see this piece finished, I love it love it love it so far.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Very impressive work, already. The map is gorgeous, and I also love th shields/frame!

I'm quite ashamed to come back after such a long time, but because of some work related problems and a lack of free time, I didn't work on the map since about a week ago.
    Lines are finished (well, except roads are still missing), and I'm quite happy with the font I chose, so now I can finally tackle that initial lettering problem.

I hope you are all well, and had a nice start for 2018.

- Valastyr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dmmap002.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	105769

I'm quite ashamed to come back after such a long time, but because of some work related problems and a lack of free time, I didn't work on the map since about a week ago.
    Lines are finished (well, except roads are still missing), and I'm quite happy with the font I chose, so now I can finally tackle that initial lettering problem.

I hope you are all well, and had a nice start for 2018.

- Valastyr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dmmap002.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	105775  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12