Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 OUT OF Lite Challenge: Banned Island

Sorry Jo!

I was proclaiming your skill with the chart border

I love the new contours!

When you are done, are you going to paper texture the land as well? (I don't even know if its possible with the software you are using)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Sorry Jo!

I was proclaiming your skill with the chart border

I love the new contours!

When you are done, are you going to paper texture the land as well? (I don't even know if its possible with the software you are using)
    Thanks Mouse,

Actually, the land is painted at less than 70% opacity... so the texture of the paper should show. I might try to increase contrast on the paper to make the folds more buvions ?

I keep hearing about how other PS users have the parchment layer at the top of the layer stack, and overlay it on the rest of the map. Maybe that would work better than increasing the contrast?

I keep hearing about how other PS users have the parchment layer at the top of the layer stack, and overlay it on the rest of the map. Maybe that would work better than increasing the contrast?
    I frequently use that trick on a lot of my maps. It really helps to settle all the colors and bring everything together. But Jo's colors are already great, so...

-IG

That would work on PS, but I'm not sure about Procreate... I'll try...

Édit : apparently not... no overlay... but I'm still waiting the user’s guide for the new version of Procreate to learn more about the new possibilities... And I found another way to make the paper appear beneath the colors : I selected the colored surface, and worked on the curves on the parchment layer (there's no way to act on the contrast, but to work on the curves)
    Last edited by - JO -; 10-31-2017 at 06:37 AM.

So... here's a little update...

I still have to finish work on the island with some villages, after that, I think I'll pass on PS to the colors of the sea, and all the specialities of a marine Chart...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3547C196-C49C-4CE4-8C32-4220EC536886.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	855.9 KB 
ID:	100740

Blog Entries

Nice ! I am tempted to convert those contours into heights and 3D and see how different its form is from my version of this same island shape. I gotta echo the other comments in that your border is very neat and reminiscent of other old maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Nice ! I am tempted to convert those contours into heights and 3D and see how different its form is from my version of this same island shape. I gotta echo the other comments in that your border is very neat and reminiscent of other old maps.
    Thanks !

Actually, for the elevation, I'll try something tomorrow : some marine chart have a "profile" view (?) drawn in a corner, in order that the sailors can compare the relief they see on the sea with the relief represented on the map... I'll see if I manage to do that and to put the labels (I think there will be a lot of labels...)

Meanwhile, here's the update of the day :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilse of Ban.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	5.03 MB 
ID:	100749

Edit : And those labels will take time ... I've realised I've lost all my fonts ... Thanks a lot, repair guy !!!!!

this is looking really good, Jo! All of those elevation lines... they would be driving me nuts trying to do all of that!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Oh poor Jo!

I do feel for you. I'd have been in the same situation with fonts and things if I'd had to reinstall Win 10 the other day

But despite it all you're doing brilliantly. I love the contours, and the paper texture looks much better now its showing in the land area as well as the sea

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast