Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 OUT OF Lite Challenge: Banned Island

That is gorgeous Joel ! A little thing. At first, I thought you added a wavy texture (vertical) in some places and I found it pretty good until I realised it was your paper texture. I'd love to see a discreet texture to the sea that would somehow clash with the style you're after but in a good way.

Wow!

This is magnificent

I can see what Thomas is talking about, but at the same time I can also appreciate the authenticity of the sea chart look you are going for.

Some sea charts have depth contours in shades of very pale, but not at all bright, blue - at least the British ones do

Wow, that is awesome!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    This is simply gorgeous. Reminds me so much of looking at my grandfathers nautical maps of the bay when we sailed.
    Thanks ! I've good memories of sailing too...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great detail, it must have taken forever to add in all those water depth numbers.
    Thanks ! It was OK... The hardest point was to keep logic with those depths numbers... Which I failed, I think, because I don't think the bottom of the ocean goes down so slowly, once it's a few kilometer off the coasts... So, I wouldn't recommand my map for a true sailing trip !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great Bay, or out in Portsmouth Harbor?
    Thanks... I think the shape of the island exists somewhere in the Britain Islands, but for the rest, is't purely imagination..

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Going back to RedRobes comment about the separate fonts folder. I've done that myself. I have a fonts folder that sits on my desktop. Whenever I download a font, it gets unzipped into that folder, and from that folder I install it into Windows10. I also have a backup of that folder on my external hard drive, which I update every three months.

I also store all of my maps there too. All of my fcws from cc3+, and all of my finished maps. Now I started doing that because I noticed I was taking up a lot of storage space, and since I'm working on a laptop, I have to be careful with that. Since then, I've also started storing all the profantasy .exe files, and all of my add ons, as well as documents, my campaign stuff, basically anything I don't want to lose.

My laptop only has the things that make it work. The programs themselves are installed on my laptop, but anything extra goes on the external. That serves two purposes. First, it keeps my laptop from getting bogged down searching through data to find things, and second, if I ever have to do a system wipe, I don't lose anything. Plus, it helps keep me organized...somewhat.
    Thanks for the advices... I started to do the same, now... But I still work with documents on my internan hard drive, I just make mirror copy of my drive quite often... I find it faster to save and load from the internal HDD... And now, I also have a folder with brushes and fonts that I download... I hope I won't have to use that folder soon !

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    This looks great!
    Thanks a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    That is gorgeous Joel ! A little thing. At first, I thought you added a wavy texture (vertical) in some places and I found it pretty good until I realised it was your paper texture. I'd love to see a discreet texture to the sea that would somehow clash with the style you're after but in a good way.
    Thanks Thomas ! I definitely have to try that... But first, I want to finish the first draw of that map for the fifteenth... I know I'm not in the challenge, but I set myself to the same constraints, included the deadline ! I'll come back to you to see if I understood well your suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Wow!

This is magnificent

I can see what Thomas is talking about, but at the same time I can also appreciate the authenticity of the sea chart look you are going for.

Some sea charts have depth contours in shades of very pale, but not at all bright, blue - at least the British ones do
    Thanks Mouse ! For the sake of exploration, I'll try that anyway, but later !

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Wow, that is awesome!
    Thanks ! I'm glad you like it !

The deadline approaches...

Here's a new WIP. I'm close to the end, but I still intend to add some "marine" details, such as lighhouses, anchors and, most of all, a compass, that will not be a compass, but a indicator for the variation between the magnetic pole and the geographic pole... So, I'm not finished yet...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilse of Ban 03.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	5.74 MB 
ID:	101011

Errrr.... Jo?

I think you may have the landscape view upside down?

Maybe its meant to be that way up

Other than that, pretty excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Errrr.... Jo?

I think you may have the landscape view upside down?

Maybe its meant to be that way up

Other than that, pretty excellent.
    Yes... I know it’s strange... but it’s the way it’s really done on true maps : the perspective is drawn relatively with the view it represent. Here, the useful view to draw is the entrance in the bay of the main city, so the view is drawn north of the map, facing south...

I have a map here at home of the west coast of Ireland that shows the way to enter the Clew bay, and the perspective is drawn alongside the left border, facing west...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	580D1BF2-743E-4728-9915-3C3A4F4F1496.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	513.9 KB 
ID:	101022

I think I've seen charts from a different era

The ones I used at navigation classes back in the... (oh dear, it is so many years ago now!) 1980s, the sea was shaded the opposite to that one - white near the shore and gradually deeper shades of blue the deeper the water. I don't remember any profiles at all (I was probably too intent on getting my trig right to notice), but what you say makes sense

Guild Expert

Wow, this looks great Jo! My one and only nit pick is the outer border is a bit too blurred, but really I only noticed it once I zoomed in to get a better look at all the lovely details.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Originally Posted by Bogie: "Great Bay, or out in Portsmouth Harbor?"
    Thanks... I think the shape of the island exists somewhere in the Britain Islands, but for the rest, is't purely imagination..
    Actually, my question was directed at Kier as I was curious if his sailing was in areas in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, U.S. that I was familiar with.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread a little.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast