Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 OUT OF Lite Challenge: Banned Island

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

No problem ! Sorry I didn't catch your question...

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Actually, my question was directed at Kier as I was curious if his sailing was in areas in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, U.S. that I was familiar with.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread a little.
    Sorry, I didn't see this. I spent summers sailing Narragansett Bay out of Wickford Rhode Island with my grandfather. I would go down into the cabin and stare at those charts pretend to map out the cruise or the next bay race. He always had charts on his wall in his study.

That's cool Kier. Great memories.

@ JO: the map is looking fantastic. I really like the inset map that shows details of the little island.

This is really wonderful, JO - there aren't enough nautical maps, and you did an excellent example of one here.

I also really like the way you built the contours on land, and you did a great job routing the roads along them. I like the switchbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    Sorry, I didn't see this. I spent summers sailing Narragansett Bay out of Wickford Rhode Island with my grandfather. I would go down into the cabin and stare at those charts pretend to map out the cruise or the next bay race. He always had charts on his wall in his study.
    Well, I'm not a grandfather, I'm thousands kilometers far from the sea, but I too have marine charts on my walls... pure nostalgia...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    That's cool Kier. Great memories.

@ JO: the map is looking fantastic. I really like the inset map that shows details of the little island.
    Thanks !
    I didn’t had to go far to find that idea, since it’s the way most of marine charts are.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    This is really wonderful, JO - there aren't enough nautical maps, and you did an excellent example of one here.

I also really like the way you built the contours on land, and you did a great job routing the roads along them. I like the switchbacks!
    Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like that kind of map !

Here's a new WIP...
    Changes are not obvious : I add a lot of little details, like speed of currents, anchors, and, of course, the declinaison indicator on the right of the map.

I still want to add some other details, like lighthouses sector, the scale (that I have to calculate...) but I still can't stay too long sitting... So I hope it will be for tomorrow (it's the deadline for the challenge, as I understood...)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilse of Ban 04.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	5.67 MB 
ID:	101101

I have to say that I am incredibly pleased that this map is for fun and not eligible for the contest. At least now the rest of us have a shot! Your map is marvelous.

-IG

Guild Artisan

yeah, this map is fricken absurd. I mean really it looks so authentic its unreal.

Great job!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast