Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 OUT OF Lite Challenge: Banned Island

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think I've seen charts from a different era

The ones I used at navigation classes back in the... (oh dear, it is so many years ago now!) 1980s, the sea was shaded the opposite to that one - white near the shore and gradually deeper shades of blue the deeper the water. I don't remember any profiles at all (I was probably too intent on getting my trig right to notice), but what you say makes sense

Guild Expert

Wow, this looks great Jo! My one and only nit pick is the outer border is a bit too blurred, but really I only noticed it once I zoomed in to get a better look at all the lovely details.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

No problem ! Sorry I didn't catch your question...

That's cool Kier. Great memories.

@ JO: the map is looking fantastic. I really like the inset map that shows details of the little island.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    That's cool Kier. Great memories.

@ JO: the map is looking fantastic. I really like the inset map that shows details of the little island.
    Thanks !
    I didn’t had to go far to find that idea, since it’s the way most of marine charts are.

This is really wonderful, JO - there aren't enough nautical maps, and you did an excellent example of one here.

I also really like the way you built the contours on land, and you did a great job routing the roads along them. I like the switchbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    This is really wonderful, JO - there aren't enough nautical maps, and you did an excellent example of one here.

I also really like the way you built the contours on land, and you did a great job routing the roads along them. I like the switchbacks!
    Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like that kind of map !

Here's a new WIP...
    Changes are not obvious : I add a lot of little details, like speed of currents, anchors, and, of course, the declinaison indicator on the right of the map.

I still want to add some other details, like lighthouses sector, the scale (that I have to calculate...) but I still can't stay too long sitting... So I hope it will be for tomorrow (it's the deadline for the challenge, as I understood...)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilse of Ban 04.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	5.67 MB 
ID:	101101

I have to say that I am incredibly pleased that this map is for fun and not eligible for the contest. At least now the rest of us have a shot! Your map is marvelous.

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I have to say that I am incredibly pleased that this map is for fun and not eligible for the contest. At least now the rest of us have a shot! Your map is marvelous.

-IG
    Thanks a lot ! But I've seen really beautiful map for this contest... This will be a difficult choice !

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast