Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 OUT OF Lite Challenge: Banned Island

Magnifique!
    As industrygothica said, it's a relief that you're not eligible
    It's really a beautiful map, one of the most... not realistic but authentic map I've seen on CG!
    I'm curious ; when did you switch from procreate to PS (or the software used for the lettering part)?
    Did you draw the border on procreate?

Oh your sitting up now! That's wonderful news, Jo

And its a pity you aren't in the voting. This is a beautiful map!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I have to say that I am incredibly pleased that this map is for fun and not eligible for the contest. At least now the rest of us have a shot! Your map is marvelous.

-IG
    Thanks a lot ! But I've seen really beautiful map for this contest... This will be a difficult choice !

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    yeah, this map is fricken absurd. I mean really it looks so authentic its unreal.

Great job!
    Thanks... I don't have any credits to take for the "reality" of this map : I have a few real marine chart in front of my eyes... I just try to adapt them the way I want, but all the ideas are not from me

Quote Originally Posted by fol2dol View Post
    Magnifique!
    As industrygothica said, it's a relief that you're not eligible
    It's really a beautiful map, one of the most... not realistic but authentic map I've seen on CG!
    I'm curious ; when did you switch from procreate to PS (or the software used for the lettering part)?
    Did you draw the border on procreate?
    Merci beaucoup ! It means a lot coming from you !

As you said, it's really not a real map... lots of mistake... I should have call it "the shipwreck island", due to all the mistakes with the lighthouses, dephts, etc...

I started with Procreate with the coast line of the island, mainland and all the little island added. Then, with the color of the land (long erasing time there... why can't procreate add a "magic wand tool" ?). Then I draw the frame, still with Procreate, and that took a long time, as you know that it's nearly impossible to draw a line at 90 degrees or 180 degrees with precision (a straight line is easy, and that's a really good tool, but in order that that line is at the right angle.... ) I used a lot "copy and paste" for the markers on the frame (difficult to use too, as the line of the frame itself is straight but not completely parallel with the border of the sheet).
    Finally, I draw the lines for the mountain's altitude, and then the lines for the sea dephts...
    That's were I had enough !!! I didn't want to spend hours to erase the colors that has overflowed the depth lines, so I switched to Photoshop : One stroke of magic wand, and the light blue area is selected, and then I can fill it with the right color... Another stroke and here's the dark blue color added, without a spill (?)...
    Then, all the labels were made with photoshop...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh your sitting up now! That's wonderful news, Jo

And its a pity you aren't in the voting. This is a beautiful map!
    Thanks Mouse...
    I still can't walk without crutches... I can sit, but the longer I stay sitting, the painful it is when I try to sleep at night... So I really try to stay on a schedule and stop using photoshop after one or two hours. So, that leaves me with the Ipad (thanks to my nice family...) but I can't do everything with the applications (or I haven't found the right ones...) So I have about 5 maps that are more or less completed, but with no labels yet, or no shadows... or without everything that I find so much easy to draw on photoshop, that I really don't want to spend hours for the task that would take minutes if I could stay on a chair longer...

As the old chinese wisdom says : "Wait a lot and you will become patient" !

I think the deadline is approaching, now... Event if it's not a map for the vote, I wanted to have the same constraint...

So here's some lighthouses and I calculated a scale (which is... approximative, to say the best)

If anyone sees any mistake, let me know, and I'll try to correct it before the end,

Otherwise, I consider this map done... and thanks a lot for your help...

Last WIP :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilse of Ban 05.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	5.81 MB 
ID:	101138

As I was wiping away the drool from looking at your map, I noticed that you have a small typo. Up in the box on the upper right you have "obcurred".

Again, truly an amazing map. Thank you for sharing it with us!

-IG

It's a beauty Joel and I'll express a different opinion here, I'd love to see you in the voting, like I'd love to see how ChickPea's map would be faring.

On another topic, really glad you're getting better even if the pain's still there

You did a great job with all the lines and the frame! To draw straight lines at a certain angle, I use grids I have in a folder and import as I need one.
    Another tip is when you draw a straight line, tap your screen with another finger (from the other hand is better ). It will force angles by 15° I think.
    For the magic wand, I use the selection tool on automatic on the main form layer then go on each layer I need to erase something.
    Despite all the mistakes only you know about, I'm very found of your map. It's the kind of map you can find in a cartography book.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast