Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to hire a cartographer

Guild Novice Guild Supporter

Question Looking to hire a cartographer

Hi everyone! Glad to meet you!

My name is Adam J Nicolai and I'm looking to hire a cartographer to make a map for my new fantasy novel. I did manage to make a decent-ish map for my first book, but it didn't have that professional shine and frankly, I found the process tedious and unrewarding. I'd much rather outsource the job to someone who enjoys the work and can knock it out of the park. A friend recommended the Cartographer's Guild and I'm blown away by some of the gorgeous work here.

I've checked and double-checked the TOS for a prohibition against solicitation and didn't see one, but if I'm violating TOS or posting in the wrong place, please let me know. As a gesture of good faith I also contributed to the site maintenance fund as I really appreciate what you're doing here.

About me:

I'm an independent fantasy novelist. If you're so inclined, you can check out my bona fides including my web site, my Amazon author page, or perhaps most importantly, the product page for my first fantasy novel, Children of a Broken Sky. (Please don't buy anything; I'm only placing those links so you know I'm legitimate.) I commissioned the cover art for Children (at that last link) from Adam Paquette, an artist for Magic: The Gathering. I mention that because, again, I want to demonstrate my sincerity and appreciation for great work. As an independent artist myself I want to support the community, and that means paying for quality work. I am not looking for a handout.

About the job:

I need a map of the primary continent of my fantasy world, which would be placed on my website as well as in the front matter of the e-book, the paperback, and the hardcover. I would be looking to keep all rights to the work but would, of course, accredit the creator. I have several amateur drafts made by various people over the years that can serve as a template. In browsing the site just a bit here, the best analog I've found to what I'm looking for is Yar-Zun, by Tom: a high quality map of a single continent using few colors that will show well in either full- or mono-color display. The primary deviation from Yar-Zun in my requirements is the orientation; my map will need to be horizontally oriented rather than vertically.

In an ideal world I'd be looking to get the finished product within a month, but that time frame is negotiable in advance if it's unrealistic. For a fantastic piece of work made by someone with a proven portfolio and finished in a timely fashion, I'd be willing to pay $250 - $500, negotiable based on portfolio and track record.

Perhaps even more importantly, I would love to establish a relationship with someone I can return to in the future for additional map needs. This series will be six books long, and I'm only on the second. There are a great number of new areas, including cities and world maps, that I expect to need in the coming years, and I also have a couple ideas in mind for additional maps of cities, villages, and regions even going back to the first book.

My questions:

1) Is it okay that I'm posting this here? I really don't want to get off on the wrong foot.
    2) If not, could anyone point me toward the correct forum or even a different site where this kind of solicitation is more appropriate? I've never hired a mapmaker before and it's proving more difficult than I expected to tap into the right group of people.
    3) What is a realistic time frame for a map of the quality level I'm looking for?
    4) Are you interested or do you know anyone who is? Please feel free to respond with any questions or PM me with a link to your portfolio. I'm hoping to start the process as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for reading and, again, for fostering such a great community.

Hi Adam J Nikolai,

I'm interested in working with you on this project. You can check my previous works here and if you like what you see, here's my email : thomrey@hotmail.com

To answer your questions :

1) It's okay but the "Mapmaking Request" section of the forum would be more visible.
    2) See above
    3) The time frame of a month that you ask for is doable by many here.
    4) You can see I am

Hope to hear from you

Cheers.

Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasR; 11-03-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Hey Adam,

I might be interested in this project. You can have a look at my portfolio to get an impression of my work and if you are interested you can contact me at info [at] danielsmaps [dot] com.

I hope to hear from you soon.

-Daniel

Blog Entries

Hi Adam, Welcome to the forum. I have moved the post to the map making requests which is slightly better placed for your post and may get a few more hits. I think you have it all covered but there is a sticky in this forum with some tips about putting in all the info for a request. Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Hi Adam, Welcome to the forum. I have moved the post to the map making requests which is slightly better placed for your post and may get a few more hits. I think you have it all covered but there is a sticky in this forum with some tips about putting in all the info for a request. Good luck !
    Thanks! Not sure how I missed this forum, as it's exactly what I was looking for, but I appreciate the move! Will update the main post with some of the missed information.

Hey Adam, another option could be to try and contact Tom directly. Have you tried ? You can do it through the PM system after you've made five posts or through his deviantart page (TomDigitalGraphics if I remember well).

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here. If you don't have any luck contacting Tom, feel free to check out some of my works here: https://tangaboa.deviantart.com/gallery/. If you're interested, you can reach me at gshipp [at] lostinmaps [dot] co [dot] uk.

Wish you all the best in finding someone.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Hey Adam, another option could be to try and contact Tom directly. Have you tried ? You can do it through the PM system after you've made five posts or through his deviantart page (TomDigitalGraphics if I remember well).
    Thanks for the suggestion and info, sir, very cool of you. I will definitely check into that.

Also, to everyone who has posted portfolio links and contact info: thank you! I will get back to everyone over the weekend after I take a little time to compare and contrast.

Hey Adam, i also may be interested in your project, have a look at my portfolio if you haven't decided yet.

Cheers
    Rafal
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

To join with all the other Marvelous artists here, I too would like to throw my hat in the ring. You can see my portfolio here, and if you would like more examples that are not shown on my portfolio due to copyright, then please contact me at Graticulemaps@hotmail.com

Cheers,
    Evile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast