Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Kirkbride style Insane Asylum Foorplan for Mystery Game

The modelling part sounds really complicated.

Good luck with it

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well crap...I've gone and found it...which means I'm going to have to make some SERIOUS modifications because I now want to go with the improved plan...Check this out! https://books.google.com/books/about...page&q&f=false

It's the whole book! And it has plates that show the layout/plan of individual wards!!! Awesome!!! (But more work )
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I saw that on Amazon, but there was a really bad buyer photo of the text reproduction, which I really couldn't read at all...

I thought it would be worse than useless, and even a source of frustration. Guess I should have mentioned it! Sorry!

I hope the plans are good for you - and Robbie, if a job is worth doing...

Having seen your work on the 3D dungeon, I have every confidence you will make something spectacular of all this hard work

Blog Entries

Well the online Google scan is very readable but I ordered the Amazon one anyways. If it's unreadable I'll just send it back. Thanks for the vote of confidence though! I hope I don't let you down.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Robbie; 11-20-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Fingers crossed!

Blog Entries

So, I got my book! It's pretty cool...Some of the plates aren't scanned well, but that's ok, I mainly wanted a way to reference the text quickly...the plates are all available online anyways. Very helpful...but I decided not to do too much of a heavy modification of the plan. I added a boiler house and that's about it for now...

In the meantime I've been learning blender (I usually use 3ds max) and I must say, I like it...Here's a wip of about ten minutes of work experimenting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dWIP_05.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	101695

OMG! It took me years to get the hang of Blender, and I still haven't really 'got it' now! LOL

Brilliant start to the modelling

Blog Entries

I took a tutorial that's designed for Max users to transition. Helped jump start me. I still have a lot to learn. I'm super green on selecting things in blender. Thanks though!

Pretty cool. Although are the walls really that high or is there a drop ceiling or something they put in afterwards? Those look like the are 4-5 meters tall on the inside. How did you get the model that quick? Layout a plane that follows the walls and just extrude it up (which is my preferred method so far)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Pretty cool. Although are the walls really that high or is there a drop ceiling or something they put in afterwards? Those look like the are 4-5 meters tall on the inside. How did you get the model that quick? Layout a plane that follows the walls and just extrude it up (which is my preferred method so far)?
    Yeah it's about a 3 meter extrude just experimenting. I intend to extrude it according to the actual specified height of 12 feet from Dr Kirkbrides plan.

I've been doing my mapping in inkscape which imports directly into blender as curves. I convert the curves to meshes and select the resulting faces and extrude them.

I organized all of my inkscape layers so I'd have references for windows and doors as well as the overall floor and other things I'll be able to use for spatial reference in blender. I need to work a little more on the actual floorplan in inkscape before I really start digging into the model.

Edit: once I cut windows it'll look better. And fix scaling.

Last edited by Robbie; 11-26-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast