Thread: Earth

Map Earth

I finished a map of Earth today. It took quite longer than I thought it would. Next, I'll be making a heavily-labeled political fantasy map of Earth (quite a mouthful).

Here's the finished map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EarthC.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	7.69 MB 
ID:	101573

Hope you like it!

Clean and well done!
    I'm curious about some of your choices, now that I'm looking at it again. Why not place the Danube in Europe instead of the (not sure, Dniestr?).

Thanks, Ilanthar!
    I think you're right about the river. In fact, the river that is supposed to be the Dnieper is mapped incorrectly... it goes too far west into Europe, whereas the real Dnieper curved east. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix it.

Name:	EarthC.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	7.69 MB 
ID:	101673

I LOVE the idea of treating the world as fantasy world project.
    The map looks nice!

Some thoughts:
    Which projection did you use? Greenland is just bigger than Australia on the map, whereas Australia is about three times the size of Greenland. Also Sibiria is way too big. Near the Poles the distraction of proportions seems to be quite large. Not really a problem, but maybe you could make a note on the map which projection is used here.
    You label the map as "The World of Earth in the twenty-first century". Consider that this is based on the Christian calendar and in other cultures there are other calendars in use. So maybe here also some note like "twenty-first century of the Christian Era" or "twenty-first century AD".
    Some other questions:
    On which criteria did you decide to put cities in and leave others out? I spotted some places where there would be enough place for putting in some more cities, like the East Coast of the U.S., Africa, Scandinavia, New Zealand, Madagascar, Turkey, Arabian Peninsula. Don't know what you plan on the political part of that project but maybe you could try to add at least the capitals of the states where there's enough place for them.
    I'd also suggest to put in the Rhine as one of the most important European rivers. (comparable to Danube)

I'm very curious about the progress and the political version!

Thanks!
    I used gall stereographic projection (defined as x= Rλ ÷ √2; y= R (1 + √2 ÷ 2) tan φ ÷ 2). I made the shape of my map by tracing a professional gall projection, so there's probably nothing wrong with the shape. I used the Christian (Gregorian) Calendar because the overwhelming majority of the world use it or some kind of adaptation thereof. I based my city placement off of lists of the most populated cities on Earth, labeling until the map looked full and leaving out cities if they didn't fit. The map was made much more for style and art than for accuracy.

The political version will have as many labels as I can add without it looking bad. What projection do you think will work better for this one? I have to say I'm not all too familiar with projections.

EDIT: I will be adding the political map progress to my "Mapping Earth" WIP when I start working on it.
    Last edited by LordCartoart; 11-25-2017 at 08:03 PM.

I also made it in a hand-drawn style.

Name:	HandDrawnStyleEarthC.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	101708