Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Guild Dungeon

Oh I can do imperial too - had to, to be able to have ordinary conversations with my parents, and I was pretty annoyed when everything went metric down at the market. All my recipe books are in pounds and ounces, but the meat and veg I need to get for them are in kilos and grammes! Urrrg! LOL!

Needless to say, that was a couple of decades ago now, and I've become an expert at using no scales whatsoever in my cooking, and doing as my mother always used to do

"That looks about right." is the most perfect measurement in the universe

My goodness, I turn my back for a few days and now there's a whole new Guild project going on! I love it.

I've never made a dungeon map before, because I'm not a gamer and have no idea where to even start, but I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I use metric measurements in the kitchen when I'm baking. I'm used to doing quick calculations in metric because of working in labs. Wearing a white coat and a demented grin. For distance I think in miles, yards and feet, except when I'm doing any woodwork stuff when I switch back to metric because things are sold in mm rather than inches these days. Temperature I work exclusively in °C. Older people tend to refer to the temperature in °F when it's warm and °C when it's cold. I think they like the extremes of saying "It's over 90 out there!" or "It's minus 1 today". 18 below sounds better than -1°F.

I only played D&D once back when I was 17 and I can't remember there being a map. Maybe there was. I meant to get into it, but I never got around to it. I think beer was more attractive to me. I started MUDding in the early 90s though and could relate all the abilities and bonuses to dice rolls and multipliers on the character sheets.

Why don't you both have a go at it?

I've never played either, but I guess you just need to make a map with a certain atmosphere and theme, like Bogie's rat pad, and suggest the potential for a few monstery things, and away you go

I'm pretty sure the experts will tell me if my dungeon isn't dungeony enough - I hope they will, anyway

Oh yes! And traps. Not got the hang of them yet, but I try to leave enough space for DMs to add things they want - if the map is worth using

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh yes! And traps. Not got the hang of them yet, but I try to leave enough space for DMs to add things they want - if the map is worth using
    You don't need to worry about traps, typically we don't put them on the map (at least not the one the players will see) because we don't want the players to know where the traps are, it makes them less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The Empire has to go down ! Metric system forever !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I was thinking the same but didn’t dared to write it down... come on, guys... feets ? Inches ? .... gallon ? ... that makes absolutely no sense !
    Well howdy, Ya'll. We all tried that there Metric thing-a-ma-bob a few years back, swung it around a bit and slapped it on the wall, but it didn't stick. 'Cept'n on Soda pop bottles. We still got 12 Ounce cans but now we got 1 & 2 Liter bottles. Dang if I knowd how many 12 oz cans fit in a 1 liter bottle?
    Anywho, the real problem is Football (American style) and Nascar. If you change those to metric none of them fans will know what a 60 meter pass is or If Roy Bigbottom is doing 135 KPH how fast is that really? Have a nice day Ya'll ! !

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Well howdy, Ya'll. We all tried that there Metric thing-a-ma-bob a few years back, swung it around a bit and slapped it on the wall, but it didn't stick. 'Cept'n on Soda pop bottles. We still got 12 Ounce cans but now we got 1 & 2 Liter bottles. Dang if I knowd how many 12 oz cans fit in a 1 liter bottle?
    Anywho, the real problem is Football (American style) and Nascar. If you change those to metric none of them fans will know what a 60 meter pass is or If Roy Bigbottom is doing 135 KPH how fast is that really? Have a nice day Ya'll ! !
    Too damn funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Funny thing, I remember hearing about a bunch of NASA engineers forgot to try it some years back. It resulted in a multi million dollars probe crashing on Mars It may not be true but that's a story many told when I was at the university (old french/brits quabble).

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Were aiming to collage them all on to a big map with a black background so it would help if far beyond your dungeon walls you dont fill it in with a pattern.
    Hi Redrobes, sorry to bother you again...

It’s till right ? I must not make a pattern for the space between the halls, caves, etc ? I just fill it with black ?

Thanks for your work, by the way !

Blog Entries

You can have a bit of pattern for the walls like say how in old school D&D maps they used to use pen hatching from the walls extending into the rock for a little bit. But it would be a bit of a pain to have a complex pattern extending into the rock a far way as I need to make a mask to extract the caves shape. For caves its not too bad anyways since ill just get out a thick brush and draw around them approximately and then fade down the edges so that the caves fade into black. If you have a solid colour as the deep rock then its easy to select the caves out of it. That is all the issue is so not a huge problem.

Blog Entries

I have created a few new stickies for you to post your links to finished parts into and ill assimilate them into the big map. There is another thread for discussing just how you would like the bits put together and whether your planning on mapping adjacent to some other part (or your own) so that I know to reserve that bit for a while.

Id like you look at the image so far which is really basic and does not place these items firmly but you can see how joining across a corridor is going to work. In fact I have to say the maps from Bogie and Daniel look amazing matched up. Since I can mask down a little of each map then when munged into each other they blend across the join and since they are aligned to the grid it just fits perfectly.

With the caves we can do the same but so far people have not left a lot of room on the corridors or joining bits of cave so were going to need some shims to make them join up.

I'll wait till we have a few more pieces then we can fix them in place. Do post links to thread so I know they are done. I cant tell otherwise whether they are still in progress.

I should also mention that I can rotate or scale these parts. If you leave the grid on the map (which is usually preferred) then I cant scale them. For caves tho, maybe its not necessary to have the grid then I could rotate and scale them to make the exits fit together.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-17-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast