Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gold Caverns [Mouse dungeon 01]

I can tell you what I did to solve it?

For each affected file, From the menu click Image/Convert Image Colour Space, and it brings up this box here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Convert Image Colour Space.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	101285

Leave everything as-is except the selection in the Depth drop down box I've opened up just there. For some strange reason Krita seems to default to 32-bit integer/channel - even if you alter the app settings to try and force it to use 8-bit integer/channel depth (the only one of those four options that will easily save as a jpeg).

Its pretty annoying, but once you set the depth right for an image it seems to stay ok after that

EDIT: I took so incredibly long sorting out the screen shot that you ninjad me Red - again! LOL!

I think, from the solution I managed to work out from the error messages I got earlier today (as shown above), its about bits per pixel.

I've tried adjusting the settings to create all new files with only 8-bit depth, but even just preparing that screen shot within Krita itself I had the very same problem - it required converting from 32-bit to 8-bit.

I'm beginning to think that there's a bug in the software, where the software doesn't necessarily obey the settings panel. But its no biggy now I know what its doing and how to put it right. I'd be far more upset if I'd paid for the app

EDIT2:

These are the two error messages you get if you are in 32-bit mode and trying to export a jpg.

Name:	error messages.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	101286

And this is the result of that happening

Name:	32 bit.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	101287

And that's the same image as in post 14 above. Plays merry hell with the water!

EDIT3: PS - Falconius - if you convert a file to 8-bit when you've been working on it in 32-bit you may have to adjust the transparency levels of most of your layers, as the effects are much less subtle in 8-bit mode! I try to remember to convert before I really get started
    Last edited by Mouse; 11-16-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Ah, that... should help a lot. Yeah I ran into this problem when trying to export screen shots to explain something on a different forum and it ended up with crazy colours. There is also that dialog when you import something asking what colour set to use so I wasn't sure if it was that.

(although I'm kinda digging that fluorescent water, and it really shows up the texture work to which is a nice plus )

Blog Entries

Yeah you know what ? I like that too. Were always trying to get realistic water with lighting from the sky but that doesnt apply here. What is lighting up that water ? It looks like some kind of bioluminescent algae. It looks good.

Trump's fake tan.

Radioactive, man!

EDIT: *clears throat and tries to stop laughing*

Sorry, Red - it was a 'geometric mean' layer effect/filter. The water is a sort of mid tone aqua, and the shading beneath it is black. The brilliant blue is where the pattern of the rock itself is coming right through all those layers and affecting the water on top, but only where the rock is a very particular shade of... umm... rock colour .
    Last edited by Mouse; 11-16-2017 at 04:34 PM.

hehe, I like it too, whatever it is.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

You know how when you change one thing everything else looks bad and you have to adjust everything else or go back to an earlier stage? Well this kind of happened last night when I was trying to soften the edges of my dungeon...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Dungeon 01 v4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	101300

Its a totally different and far more time consuming style!

And I don't even know if I like it that much...

That inky color around the skull is luscious and swirly I like the skull too... giant?
    I think the softness works with the line work you started but the rest is much softer than your texture... perhaps that is what is bugging you about it? besides it being new and different?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I agree, that swirly inky stuff is wonderful.
    I know what ya mean - I change styles often with dungeons...
    some styles might look nice but are very time consuming and I feel results can be meh.
    I keep trying to find good styles that don't take too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    That inky color around the skull is luscious and swirly I like the skull too... giant?
    I think the softness works with the line work you started but the rest is much softer than your texture... perhaps that is what is bugging you about it? besides it being new and different?
    Thanks Chashio

The skull is a symbol from Bogie's Mapping Objects. I thought it could represent either a religious sculpture or the dead remains of a giant

I do kind of like the new style, but I think you might be right about the mismatch between the sharpness of the texture and the softness of the drawing. Krita has a million brushes, but I'm only comfortable with 3 of them so far - default, airbrush and blend. Inking was a new one on me last night, and I have mixed feelings about the lines I drew with it. They're pretty clunky!

Maybe when I get to know the brushes better I can sharpen up my drawing, but for now I think I will try a less defined background texture and see what that looks like. I think I should also try to shade and colour with brushes that have a slightly more defined edge than an airbrush

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I agree, that swirly inky stuff is wonderful.
    I know what ya mean - I change styles often with dungeons...
    some styles might look nice but are very time consuming and I feel results can be meh.
    I keep trying to find good styles that don't take too long.
    Thank you, John

If you like the inky swirly stuff, then I know for sure that I am on the right track for a good effect

Now I just have to find a way of doing it more efficiently

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast