Thread: Andaeyjar

Wip Andaeyjar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andaeyjar-wip.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	101854

Greetings!

Very long-time lurker here. Many moons ago I posted the beginnings of a fantasy/sci-fi map which has undergone numerous reworkings and revamps during the interim, including a couple instances of having to completely restart from scratch due to file corruption and/or hard drive failure. Here is the latest incarnation, which I decided to post down here in the sci-fi section since it has more of a techno theme than what I had originally been working on. (The original thread is here. Geez. It's from 2011.)

Used programs: Illustrator & Photoshop, with G.Projector

Comments always welcome. I'm planning on this being the first in a series of maps detailing the various regions of the planet.

Very impressive

I'm not totally convinced by some of the rivers, where the water shed seems to zigzag violently from one side of the island to the other, but the artwork is good.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of it

I like the sci fi desing, it's well made. The different elements fit with the theme. But I have to admit that I don't understand all the graphics.
    For example what 1452-3436 mean? Is it a date?

The name Vangaarde is hard to see, it's much smaller than the others.

Nice work! The land shapes, colors and topography are really well done.
    The different sea levels are a bit pixellated, though.

Name:	andaeyjar-wip-2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	102061

Here's an update with some modifications based on suggestions so far. I reworked some of the crazy rivers to give it a more natural feel, as well as regenerated the ocean levels to hopefully (?) reduce some of the pixelation.

I've also expanded and reorganized some of the graphic elements on the right hand side, getting rid of the purely generic information and plugging in some info which is more relevant and more self-explanatory.

The one element that would still be confusing for most would be the section just above the runes. Part of the history of the world (and specifically, this area) includes a magical battle that resulted in an explosion that destroyed every living thing within a thousand kilometers, leaving the arcane-infused spirits of the slain to roam endlessly (hence the region is called the Spirit Isles).

One of the goals I had for this map was to go for a slightly different aesthetic, hence the sci-fi theme instead of a more traditional one. One of the inspirations I was using to model it after was the light table from the movie Oblivion.

As always all comments, criticisms, suggestions, and questions are welcome!

Name:	andaeyjar-wip-3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	102401

Continuing work on the relief of the surrounding areas, added some cities, rivers, names, and some additional items I realized I'd left off the legend area of the UI.