Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Kirkbride Insane Asylum 3d Level Design for Mystery Game in Blender.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Not quite as much progress this evening, but I did manage to make the third story of the admin building and I also set up the fourth story, though I still don't know what it's floorplan will look like other than the chapel/auditorium extension in the back. I may gut it and just make it an "attic" space until I find otherwise information. I know there needs to be floor space for the 20,000 gallon water tank that extends up into the dome. If anyone wants to shmooze up someone in New Jersey and get the blueprints for the original trenton state hospital 4th floor layout, that'd be awesome.

Tomorrow I'll make the 4th floor of the ward extensions and probably setup the rest of the portico.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dWIP_09.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	102013
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I can't wait to see the spires and the domes

I've no idea how you are managing to get your head wrapped around all those different level dimensions. I'm getting confused just trying to think in American storeys instead of English ones! LOL!

Attic space might have been stuffed full of archived patient records to keep them out of the damp in the basement levels, and out of the way of the active parts of the hospital. Either that or scrupulously empty to prevent fire risks?

Working at a care home, we used to end up with a lot of property left behind by residents and no longer wanted or never picked up by relatives. H&S laws and Infection Control Policies meant that we couldn't give these things to other residents or even sell them, so we had to dispose of them. There were certain things that tended to be saved and used in the lounges after professional cleaning, though, so I imagine there might be quite a hotch potch of ex-personal belongings up there.

Blog Entries

Wip

I was thinking the attic would be dusty and "unfinished" but I'm not sure...if you read Kirkbride's book he actually mentions the stairs have access to the dome for visitors...I dunno about that...if the dome is the home of a huge water tank, then what are visitors going to get out of it? Oh well.

In the meantime, I've wrapped my head around a few more bits and pieces. I've added the 4th story of the admin building and the ward projections. That was fun. I've also added some of the beginning structure and columns of the portico entrance. I still need to do steps, but the basic portico structure is in place and it's looking pretty sweet. The render doesn't do it any justice though because there's actually space under the projection behind the columns with window on the 4th story up there overlooking the porch. Maybe if you adjust levels on the image they'll show up.

Any feedback?

Name:	3dWIP_10.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	102036

Name:	3dWIP_11.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	102037

Edit: I looked closer and the second image did not show the underside of the porch at all, so I did a closer view from the ground looking up at the porch.

Name:	3dWIP_12.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	102038

One more update before bed. STAIRS!

Name:	3dWIP_13.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	102041
    Last edited by Robbie; 12-06-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Good stuff. blender has a learning curve of mt Everest and pushing through the first model is very hard. Congrats on seeing the Matrix

P. S. Also, hey there, it's me

This is looking magnificent, Robbie

I'm even more convinced you are pushing for a Christmas finish with the entire game!

Maybe it was just the domes that the visitors were invited to inspect - which would mean stairs to a gallery around the base - inside and out? At a guess, the domes would have been like miniature St Pauls Cathedral in London - no ceiling in the level below, so that the dome was more of a bubble upwards from the floor below? I really am guessing, but the only point of building a dome is to show it off, since they are not the most practical shape for functional rooms. But like I say - I'm only guessing.

It looks better when you add these details.

Blog Entries

I kinda figured that the dome would actually house the tank. Maybe not though...we'll see whether or not it fits into my storyline as to whether or not I make it fully explorable. I spent a little time working on detailing and getting more accurate steps and shrinking up the portico overhang, because I didn't like it being so deep. I also began the process of designing a basic rooftop for the admin building and the ward extensions...I imagine they'll be similar, just smaller. I'm REALLY liking the look of this architecture though.

Name:	3dWIP_14.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	345.8 KB 
ID:	102067

It looks more impressive each time you do an update

Are the roofs on the wings going to be flat - except for the spires and domes?

Blog Entries

Nope, they'll be pitched as well the long way with what I think is called a dormer projection sticking out over the bay window section.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Rather than explain and probably get it wrong above, here's a demonstration. Here's my current roof layout without dome and spires. The exterior of this building is starting to be quite handsome, and yet again I am in awe at the speed with which the blender workflow has allowed me to put this together. I can only hope the mesh is as clean as I think it is. It probably isn't though. But there's so much duplication in the model that you don't really see how it's segmented that's going to make this "level" come together much quicker than you may imagine. Once I start doing interior stuff, that's when it's going to get more time consuming, but I only have to really model one ward, and some general admin areas.

Anyways...Rooftops laid out, next will probably be either a general extrusion of the cellar, or I'll probably do some more segmentation to make texturing and performance management easier (such as having exterior objects (outside walls, columns, steps, etc) and interior objects (floors, ceilings, interior walls).

I also need to build the interior stairwells and cut the weird landing on the second/third floor of the admin building we talked about in the other thread.

Name:	3dWIP_15.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	102077

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast