Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Kirkbride Insane Asylum 3d Level Design for Mystery Game in Blender.

This belongs to neoclassical architecture?
    I think all the roofs sections should have a facade like the main one.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    This belongs to neoclassical architecture?
    I think all the roofs sections should have a facade like the main one.
    Ooooh! That's a good point! I'm honestly not sure because I'm doing a hybrid Kirkbride plan based on photos from multiple hospitals of this style. I based that ward extension roof style off the Dayton hospital which was remodeled in the 80s, probably to include a modernized rooftop.

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll make the change today.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

I've made the adjustment to the facades of the roofs...Looks better actually. Good call azelor!

I've also cut one of the weird non-aligning staircases, and will possibly show that off tomorrow or tonight. It makes sense now to me, but isn't visible in this image. Also, color changed, lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dWIP_16.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	102090

Its looking really cool, Robbie

Blog Entries

Wip

Haven't updated this thread in a while, but not for lack of progress. Been doing some engine work...here's what it looks like currently with really poorly executed global illumination and temporary textures.

Name:	Engine_WIP02.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	473.4 KB 
ID:	102699

Name:	Engine_WIP03.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	305.7 KB 
ID:	102700

I'm going to hold off on exterior shots until I fix some of the issues I caused which made me need to recreate the entire in-game structure to handle object inheritance and asset re-use properly.

OMG - sounds like a bit of a nightmare!

Its still looking really cool.

I only have one suggestion atm. Those arches are a tiny bit on the blocky side. Maybe... if it doesn't mess everything up too much... there could be more polygons to smooth the curves just a bit?

Other than that it all looks very realistic, and with the right lighting and textures could end up looking real enough to mimic a photograph

Blog Entries

Yeah, After porting to the game engine I realized how many more subdivisions those arches need...and of course the walls need trim for baseboards and crown moulding and such, maybe even a chair rail. I have a long ways to go with figuring out lighting in Godot before I can truly achieve the right ambience. I managed to find a project done by some folks at an art school that never got finished. Their project was much more specific than mine, based on Buffalo State Hospital, with lots of actual reference material they were local to, but it's still served as sort of an inspiration for me: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zKR5Q If I can get that level of ambience, I'm winning.

Wow - they really know their stuff about lighting, don't they!

I was gazing at it, though, and it does seem a little bit too... atmospheric. There's a definite haze between the observer and the far window at the other end of the corridor...

The lighting is helped a lot by the slightly undulating cream gloss finish to the walls, which throws back a lot more light than matte walls.

The planks on the floor are very narrow compared to yours - narrower than modern floorboards.

In the photo they're also extremely shiny, despite being dark wood, which again adds to the pool of indirect lighting.

There are a lot more ceiling plaster mould things in the two photos than there are in the model they made, but you don't really notice the lack of them so much because of all the additional details they have added lower down on the walls in their model - details that aren't necessarily there in the photos. Its a clever distraction technique, pulling the eye away from the lack of ceiling structures by adding texture details lower down - textures costing less to process in a game machine than extra structural polygons do, I presume...

WOW!! That's very impressive Robbie! Almost like a photograph (as the other ones you posted in Discord).
    Does it take long to go from the 3D model to those final pictures?

Blog Entries

Hey everyone! Time for some thread Necromancy! I've revived this project because it really had held my interest in the background for a while. I started working with Unreal Engine at my day job and so I decided to pull this up and bring it in. I'm keeping a little miniature dev blog at my website here: https://fantaseum.com/category/proje...bride-project/

I figured I'd post some pics here and just kinda say Hi and start discussing if anyone wants to discuss my progress...I still have a lot of planning to do and obviously modeling too. But it's come along a LOT in the past couple of weeks.

Name:	Exterior_1-scaled.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	335.7 KB 
ID:	132378

Name:	Ward_DoorsOpen-scaled.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	132379