Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Castle of Azulhoc

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's so cool! I need to stop by this forum more often...

It's fantastic, Tenia. Beautifully done!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Just a few critiques based on some reading I've done, if your first gatehouse is breached you would want to turn your first courtyard into a kill zone but you cant effectively as there are no crenellations on the inside of the outer wall, an access door to that wall from the left tower would be desirable too. another critique is that your roof design is promininent for snowy regions and as such it would be desirable that all towers have the same design and no flat roofs which could collapse with heavy snow (If i remember correctly it even aplies to flat stone roofs). Also since you don't have a keep you may want to double up on crenellations on the inner courtyard too since your attaker will need time to breach the towers and its time that could be used to kill them and maybe turn the tide of the siege.

This is coming along nice!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Colors are great ! I think the colors of the walls can depend from the color of the terrain nearby. They usually tried to build castles with nearby ressources. If your walls are mellow, it can be because the castle is on a « molasse » ground ?

If you’re plannng to color the terrain, and draw some stones, maybe you can take the same colors (or near that color) ?

I can’t wait to see the whole piece finished ,

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Thanks all !
    zhar2 : Thank you for pointing this, you are perfectly right, some battlements on the front wall of the avancée (the first courtyard) are missing (the other walls are equipped with them, though), I planned to make them in my firsts sketchup drafts but they were scrapped... Let's say that the Count of Azulhoc found himself short of money during the construction of these walls and that the Hill Dwarves who supply the stones of course did not want to deliver them without being paid before. The Count must now either find money or declare war on the dwarves and steal the stones from them...
    More seriously, yes some doors are missing, I will add them and I'll see want I can do with the inner buildings roofs (i already tried sloped roofs with sketchup but the "perspective" was not good)... although medieval castles, particulary but not only those partially rebuild and/or extended during decades/centuries, were not all an absolute logic model. For example, the last one I visited, the castle of Fougères (whose this one is for some parts inspired), a very big and strategic one, was built at the bottom of a valley and its avancée has no battlements inside (there were perhaps wooden hourds however but if so they disappeared) : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...es_Schloss.jpg
    Regards

The battlements inside were often avoided especially in the first defences, because if the wall was taken, the inside battlement would help attackers to hold their position. Without the battlements they could be targeted by defense archery posted on the second defense. (My English is so frustrating... sorry... I find it hard to be clear with technical words, I hope I'm understandable...)

Oh I didn't know that ! That's good news for the Count Of Azulhoc as he won't be obliged to declare war on the Dwarves.
    Some watercolor tests a test inset of the drawbridge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castle-azulhoc-7.jpeg 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	103045

Wow ! The castle is coming so nice !
    I love the inset too !

Have you thought what’s coming next ?
    Enlarge the map to add others elements, terrain, etc ?
    Another inset ?
    A frame and title ?

ty
    For the moment I plan to do two insets (the other one below the first at the left bottom corner), a title (upper right), a border (don't know which one currently) and I will see what to add to "fill" the whole thing (trees, brushes, building ?). Very busy now but I hope to show some more at tne end of the week

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast