Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle of Azulhoc

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Wip Castle of Azulhoc

Hi,
    Here is a draft of the castle of Azulhoc (headland of the wolf). The architectural style is far from homogeneous, the castle having been rebuilt and extended several times over the centuries. The square towers are the vestiges of the original enclosure and the horseshoe towers are the most recent. Some curtain walls and towers will have machicolations and others not, etc. The towers, especially the main dungeon, are big, but I think the proportions aren't crazy.
    My plans are to finish the draft with sketchup and then redraw this completly with Gimp or Artrage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castle-azulhoc.jpeg 
Views:	182 
Size:	912.5 KB 
ID:	102149

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Ah ah! A castle !!! If you draw a castle, you automatically have my support! (Yes, I love castles.....) It's a very good start, a very clean and very neat work on Sketchup! I see two or three elements that must have been difficult to draw ... Bravo!
    I like the way you choose to change styles... it's true that most of castles have different styles, due to the evolution of weaponry over the ages
    I still have trouble identifying the dungeon (is it the biggest tower in the background?) But it also depends a lot on the configuration of the surroundings reliefs.
    Are you going to put a roof on the big bottom tower?
    Anyway, I'll fellow your thread with a lot of attention !

Oh, nice start! Watching with interest.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you Jo ! I think I started on a long job Yes, the dungeon is, at this time, the biggest tower. For the roof I'm thinking of something like one of these two towers in the background : http://www.chateau-fougeres.com/site...?itok=r4B_3ztQ : a "chemin de ronde" around a lesser structure.

EDIT : Thank you ChickPea too
    Last edited by Tenia; 12-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Thank you Jo ! I think I started on a long job Yes, the dungeon is, at this time, the biggest tower. For the roof I'm thinking of something like one of these two towers in the background : http://www.chateau-fougeres.com/site...?itok=r4B_3ztQ : a "chemin de ronde" around a lesser structure.

EDIT : Thank you ChickPea too
    That would be great : a smaller tower on the top and an even smaller one for the stairs ! That's promising... and that means some more time on sketchup. Have you already tried to show the shadows on your castle ? I find the effect always breathtaking !
    Actually I'm working on sketch up too... I try something for the December challenge but I'm not sure I'll throw myself in it yet...

Nice battlements.
    The size of the dungeon doesn't look out of proportio n.

Thanks guys. I probably won't be able to show some progress until the next week, but your encouragement motivates me

Nice start!
    The more I see drafts made on sketchup or any other 3D soft, the more I say to myself to try it!
    Your castle is very nice and I'll wait for the next week to see what you've done

Hi all,
    Some progress (?)
    I fought with the landscape and I loose... It's totally screwed up and I erased some parts of it accidentally. Anyway, it will just serve as a guideline (the shadows also, which I don't like too) so I don't bother too much, I wanted a landscape to see the rendering of the drawbridge. This is an "Arrows and chains" drawbridge, quite common in medieval times, with a pedestrian one on the side. Added some roofs also, I find them better that the previous ones.
    @fol2dol : Sketchup is very pleasant to use and it has a small learning curve. However, if you try it, don't do like me (I am the sort of guy who try before from scratch and finally RTFM after many mistakes ) : Read some tutorials before, particularly on moving things with axis and on the "follow me" tool.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castle-azulhoc-2.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	102475

I'd love to be half as good at sketch up as you are ! Il tabasse ton château !

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast