Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Random sketches by Thomas

Unless you are using "sailor" as a verb, there should be a comma before it.

I really like the sketch compass rose. I hope the finished version of the poster will have the same pattern in the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Unless you are using "sailor" as a verb, there should be a comma before it.

I really like the sketch compass rose. I hope the finished version of the poster will have the same pattern in the shadows.
    Thanks for the catch, I'll change this. The final version will have a heavily rendered compass and I want to have the curved hatching pattern appear engraved. We'll see if I can do it right

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Hey Thomas, long time no see! I really dig the watercolour stuff you're sharing here.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Hey Thomas, long time no see! I really dig the watercolour stuff you're sharing here.
    You're way too kind, I've got a lot of progress to make with watercolor. I plan on posting a finished map entirely hand made with watercolor by hte end of hte year, I hope I won't ruin it ... And I have a resolution for next year : taking a drawing/painting class

Phase one ... now, for once, I'll let it dry long enough not to mess the next step up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3679.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	119267

Your are rocking in this thread. Awesome experiments and you are getting better and better in watercolour. Go go Thom!
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Map

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Your are rocking in this thread. Awesome experiments and you are getting better and better in watercolour. Go go Thom!
    Thanks a lot Rafal But ... you might be speaking too quickly. Here's a picture of the finished version. The parchment color is too yellow for my state and my brushwork for the other colors is really sloppy (need to learn patience ... and learn how to paint without masks ). Anyway, it's done unless I try and add some more dirt near the tears. I'll scan it properly and try a digitally cleaned version as well as an untouched one. Here's the result. I do not hate it and, at least, it taught me some useful stuff (still gotta take some painting/drawing classes).

Name:	ELl-0u-WwAArdXE.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	583.0 KB 
ID:	119289

Critics are oh so welcome

Really cool stuff Thomas! I always get inspired by looking at other artists sketches and these are wonderful.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Really cool stuff Thomas! I always get inspired by looking at other artists sketches and these are wonderful.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks a lot Tad I'm still hesitating on adding a bit more grit on the edges of the parchment ... might wanna let the week-end pass.

Map

And another one (picture only for now, it's a tiny bit too large for my scanner). Still a lot of mistakes but I consider it an improvement from the previous ones (on some points ...). I've bought high quality paper (hear expensive) but I'm not ready to use it yet .

Name:	IMG_3717.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	119320

If anyone has tips (other than "use a finer brush", this map taught it to me ) I'll take it.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast