Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: December 2017 Challenge : Mostar Bridge

I think the problem with the trees is that they are photorealistic, where the rest of the map they are on is inked, and therefore not photorealistic.

I've have lots of problems mixing styles over the last couple of years, so I know how difficult it is to get this kind of thing to work.

If you add drop shadows to the trees they will look a lot better as trees.... but if you do that there will be a much greater mismatch between the trees and the buildings that are inked and definitely not photorealistic.

Difficult to know what to suggest in the time available...

If I had to chose between the trees and the rest of the map, I'd chose the rest of the map and try to ink the trees to go better with it - but that really is my personal approach, and one that would make me go pale at the thought of all the work I would need to do to make it so, in the time available.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I'd agree with Mouse about the trees on this one. They are really well placed, but just don't have the style match you're after.

Maybe there's some filter or some such you can play around with to give them more of the inked look? Might be worth a try before you even consider Mouse's daunting suggesting of redrawing them all. As ThomasR as often said, and I now thoroughly agree: sometimes I really hate trees...

Other than that, this has come on in leaps and bounds since I last had a chance to see! Great composition of all the different elements!

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Great JO. Did you try however to apply some filter to the trees to make "black lines" appear (something similar to the Gimp GMIC cartoon filter) ?

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think the problem with the trees is that they are photorealistic, where the rest of the map they are on is inked, and therefore not photorealistic.

I've have lots of problems mixing styles over the last couple of years, so I know how difficult it is to get this kind of thing to work.

If you add drop shadows to the trees they will look a lot better as trees.... but if you do that there will be a much greater mismatch between the trees and the buildings that are inked and definitely not photorealistic.

Difficult to know what to suggest in the time available...

If I had to chose between the trees and the rest of the map, I'd chose the rest of the map and try to ink the trees to go better with it - but that really is my personal approach, and one that would make me go pale at the thought of all the work I would need to do to make it so, in the time available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'd agree with Mouse about the trees on this one. They are really well placed, but just don't have the style match you're after.

Maybe there's some filter or some such you can play around with to give them more of the inked look? Might be worth a try before you even consider Mouse's daunting suggesting of redrawing them all. As ThomasR as often said, and I now thoroughly agree: sometimes I really hate trees...

Other than that, this has come on in leaps and bounds since I last had a chance to see! Great composition of all the different elements!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Great JO. Did you try however to apply some filter to the trees to make "black lines" appear (something similar to the Gimp GMIC cartoon filter) ?
    Thanks for your advices... Finally I drew some trees by myself... Not sure it's a lot better, but it does look more like the rest of the drawing...
    And I worked on colouring all that wasn't yet... I have to add some debris in the streets... some of them look too neat, I think

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mostar Composition 03.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	8.39 MB 
ID:	102697

The trees are looking a lot better

There seems to be a bit of a scale discrepancy going on here, though. The planks and beams you have drawn so beautifully all over the map as part of the debris do seem to make the trees look incredibly small. Not one of them could produce enough wood for the smallest of those planks.

I know that redrawing them all, all over again, would be a nightmare, but I really think they can only be called bushes the size that they are.

Other than that, a beautiful map

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The trees are looking a lot better

There seems to be a bit of a scale discrepancy going on here, though. The planks and beams you have drawn so beautifully all over the map as part of the debris do seem to make the trees look incredibly small. Not one of them could produce enough wood for the smallest of those planks.

I know that redrawing them all, all over again, would be a nightmare, but I really think they can only be called bushes the size that they are.

Other than that, a beautiful map
    My fault, I shouldn’t have called those « trees »... on the photographs I’ve seen, there are only bushes around the bridge... in a way I'm glad you noticed that it was too small for trees...

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Love the new update, Joel! All the debris you added looks great and really helps flesh the map out. The new tree/bush/or whatever you want to call them, also are a lot better!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Love the new update, Joel! All the debris you added looks great and really helps flesh the map out. The new tree/bush/or whatever you want to call them, also are a lot better!
    Thanks a lot..

I'm working on the picture of the new bridge, now...

If anyone can tell me if the text is more or less in good english, I would be very glad !!!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Mostar Composition 04.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	8.45 MB 
ID:	102744

I hope everything's all right with the text and there's not too much mistakes...

I worked on the image of the rebuilt bridge, nearly done...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Mostar Composition 05.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	8.54 MB 
ID:	102765

Its all looking really great, Jo

Can I make a suggestion?

Maybe if you write the diary part about the day they finished rebuilding the bridge, instead of the day it was destroyed, it would be even more appropriate to the Challenge?

If you decide to leave it as it is, I don't think you need the 's' at the end of ethnic at the bottom of the first page

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast