Thread: December 2017 Challenge : Mostar Bridge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wip December 2017 Challenge : Mostar Bridge

I want to try something with this challenge...

Some of you may recall the war in former Yougoslavia, during the '90 ?

During this very complicated conflict, the city of Mostar was the scene of fighting between Bosniacs, Croats and Serbs.
    Quite quickly in the conflict (1992) the bridges on the Neretva river are cut, with the exception of the old medieval bridge. The war moves away and then gets closer. In 1993, the Croats held the western part of the city, the Bosniaks the eastern part. It is almost a trench war, the inhabitants are forced to leave their homes and join the neighborhoods dominated by their own ethnic group. The conflict degenerates and on November 9, 1993, the old bridge is destroyed (by Croatian shells).

It's a shock for everyone.

After the war, the bridge is rebuilt with funds from around the world. It has been redone identically, just like the surrounding houses. The brand new bridge was inaugurated in 2004, while the city was still sharply divided between the inhabitants of Croatian origin and the inhabitants of Bosnian origin.

Peace can be declared, but it remains a very long process. I do not know if the inhabitants of Mostar are reconciled today, but what I do know is that the rebuilding of the bridge is a strong symbol in the direction of peaceful cohabitation for all the people of Mostar.

So I wanted to try to "map" this first step toward a pacified city.... I have no idea if I'll succeed until the end of the month, or if this "map" will be any good...

The original plan is to make a plan from the old bridge, from above with a few houses around, at the time when it exploded, and beyond this map, making the drawing from the reconstructed bridge, seen from the Neretva river, looking north.

So far, I started with Sketchup and discovered that since the 22nd of may this year, it's no longer possible to import a relief from google earth, So I tried to replicate more or less the relief around the city.
    With the map I want to do, it's not very important if the relief is not very accurate, because it will be more like a closeup of the bridge.
    For the bridge, I saw that someone called Mira made a 3D model of the old bridge on Google earth too, but I didn't use it (I think it's no longer possible to import those 3D figure on Sketchup too), So I tried to model the bridge on Sketchup... it's more or less accurate (again)..

Here's what I've got so far

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mostar 01.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	261.6 KB 
ID:	102209

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mostar 02.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	102210

edit : very sorry, Diamond, I forgot to write a proper title... It should read : "December 2017 Challenge : Mostar Bridge" I hope it's not too much troubles to change the title !
    Last edited by Diamond; 12-14-2017 at 01:57 AM.