Thread: Official Guild Discord Server!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Radio Diamond and Kellerica, then

I think maybe there are a lot of people like me who feel a bit uncomfortable talking 'on air'.

We all have our own reasons. For example, too many elocution lessons to stop me from sounding like a country bumpkin in my childhood has left me sounding a bit like the Queen... though there is still a shade of my original Dorset accent in there somewhere. I've been told in the past that it sometimes makes me sound like I'm 'putting it on', even though I was so rigorously drilled for so long that it really is just the way I speak these days.

There is also the other thing... the Aspie-me has a terrible tendency to mimic the accent of those around me. Its part of the elaborate acting routine (an ingrained coping strategy) that I use to 'pass for normal' in the real world. While this is barely noticeable when I'm talking to other villagers, it can come across as if I'm taking the mic when I accidentally take on an American/French/Italian tone of English. The fastest way to lose friends!

I almost did that the other day when I was talking to Hai-Etlik!!!

Its very much safer for me to stay quiet, I think
    I can relate to that more than you know, Mouse. I too tend to mimick the accent of those around me, both in Finnish and perhaps even more strongly in English, since in a foreign language I don't have that much of a "natural" accent to fall back on.

Sooo... It wouldn't bother me, I guess that's what I'm trying to say?

I know it would be hard for me to feel comfortable talking at first, but that honestly just tells me that I should do it. I so rarely have a chance to actually talk in English instead of just writing it, I know I could use the practice. I tend to be overly aware how stupid my accent sounds and compeletely freeze when I can't express myself due to forgetting a certain word... At least you're a native, Mouse!

But to each their own, of course.

Radio Diamond & Kellerica - I do like the sound of that! Haha!
    Last edited by Kellerica; 12-28-2017 at 05:40 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.