Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shardom Empyron

Wip Shardom Empyron

OK, this is a very raw start for the Shardom Empyron. I guess I'm gonna work slowly on this since I've different other maps in progress and I don't know how I'm gonna do some elements for this.

The Shardom is mainly desertic, ergs of dunes in the north, a big rocky plateau with canyons in the south.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shardom Empyron.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	102258

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Glad to see the whole atlas going on !
    Great start with this one

This is fantastic as always! I like the illustrations of mythical creatures in particular. There are some awkward bits in the rivers where they suddenly don't have black borders, but I'm assuming there's a long-term reason for that and/or they'll be corrected in the next version. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Top-notch work, Ilanthar. This one will be epic. If your plateaus and dunes, etc rival your mountains in terms of awesomeness, I'll have to wipe away the drool.

Go go Ilanthar. I have no doubt you'll produce a wonder, yet again.

Still, one little piece of food for thought - if you want to produce the feel of a land of deserts, there's roughly 25% of the layout, in eye-catching blue sea, that is working against you.

Thanks everyone!

@Tiluchi : concerning the rivers, it's where the big empyron cities are.
    @Diamond : arrrhh... I don't know how to do the plateaus and dunes, so mainly testing first!
    @Pixie : Well, there are non-desertic lands in the NE & NW parts of the Shardom. I could "hide" a bit the sea by adding some elements here (pantheon logo, compass or scale), I'll see that later.

So, a bit more of the plateaus & details... one more city in the west and some test (not really happy with it) for the dunes.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	259 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	102314

There are a number of real world maps which are mostly desert, but contain a fair amount of sea. The Arabian Peninsula comes immediately to mind, as does the continent of Australia, or even the southern part of California (extending down into Baja California in Mexico, which is going to have even more coast-to-desert. So, I don't find that the sea there takes away from the sense of the land of deserts at all.

Have some reputation Ilanthar for this wonder-soon-to-be
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

This is looking very good Ilanthar! I don't think the dunes work very well, especially taking into account the styles of the Batikshal Empire, and Safrân. Perhaps you could simply use small dots to suggest the terrain, like you use horizontal lines for other terrain.

Thanks everyone !

I agree with you, Daniel. I did another test for dunes/regs. It may be hard to see, right now, but I hope the shading will make them good enough. What do you think?
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	60 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	102382

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast