Page 25 of 77 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilanthar's tests & sketches

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Trying to do
    What you call 'trying' seems quite successful to me already, and i have a feeling that it's gonna be pretty epic! Especially good job on that rather flat perspective, i consider them relatively tricky.

Otherwise, i don't know if you plan on colouring it later, but if you don't, it's - in my opinion - really good for the contrast and atmosphere to show a clear distinction between wooden and stone buildings by (over-)emphasizing certain elements of the construction, mainly on windows (wooden building tend to have the windows on facade level, while stone buildings usually have them set back a bit in the window jambs). For example, the one house with a full gable in the middle row to the right side of the canal seems to me like a full stone building, but on the other hand i can't really tell, since there is no real roof overhang on the one hand, but no gable extending over the roof line either, and the windows don't indicate it either, only the larger window (or blind window) in the gable can give a hint that it's probably meant to be stone.

But enough of this, it looks awesome overall, and keep up the work on it

Thanks Chlodwech!

Yeah, it's a flat view and quite a flat city (a few small hills will be on the right, with the monastery, and in the background with the castle).
    Most of the buildings are supposed to be half-timbered and a few are stones or with stones on the ground level.
    My original idea was to do a simple sketch (it's supposed to be in a travel's notebook), hence with no color. But it may be an option. I'll see.

I did the paper more bright, and some more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portokal vue large.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	112593

Some more.

Views:	46 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	112658

By the way, I got a second screen (which is 28" and 3840x2160 px) and when I'm using windows (sadly I have to recognize that it deals bette with 2 screens than linux mint...), my tablet is cutting the left (about 1700 px) part of the screen as it doesn't exist...
    If somebody know how to correct that, I'll be grateful!
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 01-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Some more.

Views:	46 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	112658

By the way, I got a second screen (which is 28" and 3840x2160 px) and when I'm using windows (sadly I have to recognize that it deals bette with 2 screens than linux mint...), my tablet is cutting the left (about 1700 px) part of the screen as it doesn't exist...
    If somebody know how to correct that, I'll be grateful!
    The city looks great. I like seeing the side view of a city. It's not something done very often, and you demonstrate why it should be done more often. As usual, very inspiring.

About your equipment I think we need more info, like what the dimensions of both screens are, what the lay out is, which screen is the main, graphics card... etc. I'm running a 4 k as my main and a 1080p as my second, using a Wacom tablet, I haven't encountered that issue. If you are running two different sized screens your software may be limiting the mapped surface by the smaller screen, for instance if you have you main screen (screen 1) as the smaller one that may be it. You could try making it so it's only mapped to one screen in general use and see if the problem persists, and then add the second screen in (Although for most programs I have it run only on the workspace screen), it should help pinpoint the issue. If it is still limited in travel reinstall the drivers maybe with both screens operational? If mapping it to one screen solves that, and is the only thing that works you may consider just leaving it like that and make sure it's on the screen you use for the workspaces?

Thanks, Falconius! This one is more tricky than I expected though...

About my screens & issues : I have a 3840x2160 (28") and a more classic 1920x1080 (23"). I've chosen the new and bigger screen as the main screen and limited the tablet surface to this one (on both windows 10 and linux mint). It works perfectly fine under linux (except for the software interfaces that are reduced by 2 - linux mint 18.3 doesn't seem to be able to handle screens bigger than 1920x1080), but I'm losing about 1700 px under Win10...
    You may have something about the smaller limiting things despite my tablet settings (1920+1700 is near 3840, after all, and I see my stylus pointer "reappear' when hover above the tool bar of the software, after the missing part).
    Not a big deal, anyway... just annoying.

Some more

Views:	37 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	112679

Hehe I was thinking earlier today "I wonder how he is managing to get the perspective so well. Probably just winging it." So I bet it's fairly tricky

Hmm have you tried disconnecting the second monitor to see if the tablet functions correctly without it? Here's how my tablet mapping is typically set up (but it also works even with both screens mapped. The tablet just ignores the black area you see in the little example window there):

Name:	tablet.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	112680
    If you play around with the "Force proportions" and "tablet area" options (or their equivalents in the software you are running) it may help. Also I generally find "windows ink" can sometimes create some bugginess you might want to try turning it off if it's on.

Thanks, Falconius!

Hehe I was thinking earlier today "I wonder how he is managing to get the perspective so well. Probably just winging it." So I bet it's fairly tricky
    I have a base model in Sketchup that helps a lot for this one.

Thanks for the technical help. I didn't try to see how it works with just the bigger screen, I'll give it a try. The settings of the Tablet aren't changing the problem...

I'm wondering if this is not messy with too many lines...
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	66 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	112811

Looking good!
    I think you can only tell if you have too many lines once you've got all the lines in And then you also have to consider shading which may have a big effect on line perception. That said, I actually really like that blank area on that seawall in the foreground with the lined in top.

Great work going on here, Ilanthar

I don't think there are too many lines as long as they don't get any thicker than they are. Nice looking piece of paper

Page 25 of 77 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast