Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilanthar's tests & sketches

By Chashio
    Nice to see you're doing some Inktober stuff
    Huh, it's likely to be the only one.

By Mouse
    Lots of entertaining, interesting and beautiful work going on here, Ilanthar
    Thanks a lot, Mouse !

By Galendae
    Trees....I like. Coincidentally, one of the Banners/Shields I need is House Carandoron....Caran=Red, Doron=Oak... in Sindarin, House of the Red Oak. Look for my request by email next week, I will do my best to give you all the details. Just thinking aloud, your name, Ilanthar, if it were to be translated from Sindarin it could mean; He who Sings Across.
    Thanks, Galendae ! Looking forward to your request.
    I didn't know "Ilanthar" could mean something in Sindarin. I mainly picked it because I liked the sonority... and thought it was a bit like a "sanskrit" name.

I'm testing the same kind of atlas style I did for Elzevir Mars on my old Ersïa map.
    Starting with the small continent of Elic (rponounced E - l - ee - t - s) and its three countries (Lustresia, Estevalion Republic and The Alliance of the Dream's Cities).

I've also done a new version of my fictional script. Not sure to use it in the end, though.
    I chose the Azimuthal equidistant projection.

Very much still a WIP.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elic.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	117988

Lovely, as always. I like your mountains quite a bit.

By KMAlexander
    Lovely, as always. I like your mountains quite a bit.
    Thanks a lot !

I did some more. Now, I suppose I'll have to find names for cities, mountains, rivers, etc. And to develop things for thematic maps.

Name:	Elic.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	118014

Soooo, I finally placed my elemental between the tree and the standing stone (no flashlight, sorry ;-)).

Name:	Sketches.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	339.2 KB 
ID:	118031

Some progress on this one.

Name:	Fuskar.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	118032

And I'm kinda wondering if I'm not loosing myself by doing too many useless details on this... It's the right side of a view of the Artemo District I'm working on (Argona City).

Name:	Artimon vue.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	938.3 KB 
ID:	118033

I first intended to use it at half size, like on this previous version.

Name:	Artimon vue.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	118034
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 10-09-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    And I'm kinda wondering if I'm not loosing myself by doing too many useless details on this... It's the right side of a view of the Artemo District I'm working on (Argona City).

I first intended to use it at half size, like on this previous version.
    I often find myself having the same issue when I'm making 3d assets to put in a map. I think it's a consequence when you approach them as a single object, or at least it is to me, because then you end up focusing on that object and not the map as a whole. I find it extremely difficult (as in I've never achieved it) to avoid getting overly detailed with the set pieces. That said, I personally love what you are doing with these profile pieces for Argona.

I really like these! I especially like the sketch with the elemental and I'm in love with the scene beside it. Are the trees submerged in the water? This sketch stimulates my imagination, looks like an interesting place to visit, I have to read up on your world. The ones with the buildings... You've got a lot of patience, the details look amazing. I have to go through this thread very carefully to look at everything, lots of amazing stuff.

I'm not sure if the details are useless, it probably depends on how large the finished drawing is supposed to be in relation to other elements, etc... On its own it looks good. Maybe the more distant buildings don't need to be this detailed, might be that if simplified they would read better? I don't know. Anyways, I'm impressed.

Soooo, I finally placed my elemental between the tree and the standing stone (no flashlight, sorry ;-)).

And I'm kinda wondering if I'm not loosing myself by doing too many useless details on this...
    Hehe, nice! The butterfly is much better anyway

I like how the mountain piece is coming along and the rest of them.

I usually make a practice of working at or near the intended print/final viewing size, just so I don't spend tons of time going into those tiny details that will pretty much disappear when I scale it down. But at the same time, I love the details and if I intend to make a larger illustration of something that is starting as just side piece for something else, then having the detail is useful later.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks a lot for your views on that matter and kind words, guys!
    I'll go work on it again soon and see how to deal with it.

I drifted a bit... Working on a new Eldoran map (I wasn't completely happy with the last iteration).
    I may do a proper WIP thread for it (or the Ersïa maps) at some point.

Name:	Eldoran v2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	118178

Nice map very engaging land form shapes. I must've missed the world map before, because it looks great so far.

Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast