Page 47 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilanthar's tests & sketches

Hey, thanks a bunch everyone !

@Galendae : glad you love it!

Texturing lands & forests, I hope it's good enough (and that everything is legible). Banners won't stay on the map in the final version (I will use them on political maps, maybe).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nightfalll CoBancrop.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.80 MB 
ID:	125241

A tweet about Masdegar's house worked as a reminder... I do have this big galleon (6 levels) to colour. So, back on it.

Name:	GVA.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	6.00 MB 
ID:	125384

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    A tweet about Masdegar's house worked as a reminder... I do have this big galleon (6 levels) to colour. So, back on it.

Name:	GVA.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	6.00 MB 
ID:	125384
    Looks good, although I am confused about the oven. Besides the terror that having one so deep in the boat must cause all the crew, it appears the chimney doesn't go all the way through the decks to dump into the outside air. Such a design (even assuming grates on the other decks above) would cause all the decks to fill up with smoke and probably a nice scattering of hot embers flying who knows where. The second point is typically they would try to locate the chimney as far as they could from the sails, but it looks like your stove is right next to one of the masts. If the stove was centrally located in the boat they'd try and get it right in between the masts, and may even spread the masts a bit farther apart. (Also for a boat of this size your masts look a little bit undersized.)

Edit:
    I circled the oven in green. You'll also note the size of the masts. Where the chimney comes up under the ship's boat is actually into open air, there is no roof over that. The reason for the oven being so deep in the boat is the decks where the guns are are working decks and they need the full space to operate the guns.

Name:	Hull profiles.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	661.4 KB 
ID:	125386
    Last edited by Falconius; 10-07-2020 at 12:28 PM.

You're extremely skilled. Your most recent worldmap (the one above the ship) were made with wonderdraft, I presume?
    And how did you make your city maps such as Argona?

I wish I could get half as good as you.
    Last edited by Cookiegod; 10-11-2020 at 04:14 PM.

@Falconius : You're making good & valid points and it's getting worse since I realize I didn't aligned the grids... I just looked on a educational sketch of a galleon for inspiration, but probably didn't pay enough attention.
    The thing is that I'm not brave enough to redraw/change many things at this stage... so I guess I have to consider something like an oven without fire of some sort (fantasy is helpful in this case !).

Name:	GVA cut.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	125450
    This is a general view by the way.

Name:	GVA ft.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	125451
    On a different matter, I'm mostly done with the Lormance kingdom part of the Nightfall map.
    And I couldn't resist to some coat of arms to show vassalage links of the Lormen lords.

Name:	Nightfall Lormance.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	125448

Name:	Lormance vassaux.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	125449

@Cookiegod : Thank you very much! I don't know wonderdraft, I'm using krita & a graphic tablet for almost everything.
    Are you talking of the last version of Argona or the old one?
    And I started from almost nothing but my passion for maps, so...

Wow. I was talking about the latest version.

Wonderdraft is a paid mapmaking tool which a friend of mine uses. Your style reminded me of it. But I don't use it, I'm more a Krita+Gimp person, just like you but with far less skill.
    Did you draw every single mountain or use some brush?

By Cookiegod
    Wow. I was talking about the latest version.

Wonderdraft is a paid mapmaking tool which a friend of mine uses. Your style reminded me of it. But I don't use it, I'm more a Krita+Gimp person, just like you but with far less skill.
    Did you draw every single mountain or use some brush?
    Thanks for the wow .
    Sorry for the late answer. I'm drawing everything, and that's a reason for this version (as my old wip about the Lormance Kingdom had a lot more mountains... ).

Some doodles of the day. I kinda have an itch for drawing on paper these days.
    I might decide myself to do an actual map...

Name:	IMG_1191.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	126199

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Come on! You know you want to! Don't listen to 'ctrl z' .

Still an amazing thread by the way and great sketches!

By Arimel
    Come on! You know you want to! Don't listen to 'ctrl z' .
    Still an amazing thread by the way and great sketches!
    Thanks Arimel!
    It's not just Ctrz Z, but also the "zoom in" and the symmetry tools...

That being said...Still testing & doodling to find something efficient. Still some adjustments needed, but I'm onto something, I guess.

Name:	IMG_1196.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	126220

Page 47 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast