Thread: Village of Kurad (Coloring it, yes or no?)

Question Village of Kurad (Coloring it, yes or no?)

Hey, so some time ago I did a village map. Kurad. It's a small village, kind of built around a temple. The lands were theirs and they never tried to make a city out of it, since the philosophy was always that the "loneliness" of the place made meditating easier. So I really like the general outline, and now I was thinking about whether I should color it. I am not sure about it, though and also... Trouble is though, the original map is kind of... well... let's just say it does not exist anymore. So I was thinking about doing it digitally, but I just got no experience at all at it. So I got two questions:

(1) Would you think it's a good idea to color it?)
    (2) Any tips on how to best color a map like this? Techniques, stuff like that...

(The original background color is white, but I kind of... you know... put another background layer there, because I thought it made it look more awesome - but the background is not a problem for coloring it).

Hi there, I really like your map. We actually have a similar style as far as the top-down perspective. I recently posted a map of a small seaside town where I showed both the line art and the coloring. Using Gimp I mostly used the laso tool and the fill shortcut (ctrl ,) for flatting porting of my coloring. I found that at first it looked a little too cartoony for my liking and had to play with the hue-saturation a bit to get make it more gloomy. To add a bit of texture I found that using the cloud filter made for some interesting effects when the layer is set to multiply.

Hope that is of some help
    -I-F-

Hi Zora, I definitively would not colour it. The only thing I could imagine is so use a different brightness/emphasis for the river and maybe the fields but i would stay in those yellow-brown style