Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: naked mannnequins walking around a . . . . underground warehouse?

Default naked mannnequins walking around a . . . . underground warehouse?

I don't really know what to call this. It isn't normally the type of stuff I make, but it was lots of fun and the little hallway just kept expanding. It it a very low poly and simple model.

I've been messing around with Gimp 2.9 as a compositor, since it has the high bit depth and the linear color space (I admit that I don't really understand that and I still manage to blow out my colors).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac7.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	102691

Name:	ac6.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	102692

Odd name indeed, but it's a pretty cool set.

You made this only using Gimp?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Odd name indeed, but it's a pretty cool set.

You made this only using Gimp?
    Gimp only? No way I'm that talented. I made it with Blender and composited in Gimp. The point of using Gimp was to combine the different passes. I can post them here and you (or anyone else) can try it yourself.

passes.xcf.zip

Hmmmm . . . . THis is compatible with the gimp 2.8 version. 8 bit depth and makes no sense to composite with, but you get the idea. I combined the diffuse, ambient occlusion, and the shadow layers.

For example, here is the diffuse layer:

Name:	ac8.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	102704
    Then the ambient occlusion on top in 'multiply' mode.

Name:	ac9.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	102705
    And then the shadows on top of that also in 'multiply' mode.

Name:	ad1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	102706
    There are all 8 bit and really can turn into a mess if that's all I use.
    I think Gimp 2.9 is great, but until there is non-destructive editing, PS is going to always be better.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This would look cool with some global illumination in a game engine.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

When you said compositor, I initially taught you meant composing music in Gimp or something like that. It made no sense.

Well, I don't understand what is meant by using GIMP as a compositor either, but this is certainly worth some rep

People like me who are not very good at drawing can use something like Blender to make stuff in 3d, place a virtual camera in Blender, and then take a picture from any angle. When this virtual camera takes a picture, it can separate the picture into different passes, like diffuse colors, shadows, etc. I can export the different passes as individual layers from Blender and load them into Gimp, or Photoshop, or Krita, or even something like Paint.net.

By compositing in Gimp, I mean loading these different passes as layers and adjusting them in Gimp to get the look I want. Gimp 2.9 has lots of new features like high bit depth and linear lighting, so when I make adjustments, there is more information in the pixels to adjust and fine tune the final image.

That is cool. I like the wall transparencies in the ortho shot. The stairs however are some what confusing in that shot since they end up lining up that lower floor with the higher one in front of it. It might be beneficial to add another square between the stairs and that section so it offsets it enough to see both clearly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast