Thread: [Tutorial] Using GPlates to model continental drift

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Charerg, I'm having a problem with GPlates flowline function. No matter what I do my flowlines are showing up like the attached image. I've even done a complete reinstall of GPlates. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPlates 5_22_2018 11_09_46 AM.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	107196

Quote Originally Posted by shadixdarkkon View Post
    Hey Charerg, I'm having a problem with GPlates flowline function. No matter what I do my flowlines are showing up like the attached image. I've even done a complete reinstall of GPlates. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPlates 5_22_2018 11_09_46 AM.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	107196
    Looks like one (or both) of the continents have a non-zero present day (0 Mya) rotation. Those tend to mess up the flowlines.

Ah, gotcha. So that makes it a bit harder to *start* with a supercontinent and work forward. Thank you though, I appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by shadixdarkkon View Post
    Ah, gotcha. So that makes it a bit harder to *start* with a supercontinent and work forward. Thank you though, I appreciate the help!
    Not necessarily, you can kind of work around it. For example, treat 1.0 Mya as "present day" (in other words change your current 0 mya poles to be 1 mya instead), that way you can keep the 0 Mya reconstruction poles as zero.