Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAO Intel users

Default FAO Intel users

Processor design flaw may make Intel processor based systems vulnerable to exploitation.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

Ok, that's it.

I've fought the 50% slow down the Win 10 Creator's Update caused my particular system by installing Linux.

If Linux is going to end up being almost as slow, I might as well just be a spectator/occasional helper from now on.

Well, let's wait and see. It may not be as bad as it's being hyped. These things often aren't. And Intel will be working hard to release a fix.

There's a very detailed article on Ars Technica about it, if anyone's interested.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...erous-patches/
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I plan to get an AMD cpu for my next machine. But this haz nothing to do with it.

I ll need to read more on this.
    When they say Intel, is it all the cpu or just some of them?

I got a Ryzen. With the current gen, the Intel chips just end up being so much more expensive for equivalent Ryzen chips in the Ryzen line. That said the processor speeds were super tempting, a 5% to 30% speed hit (I can't imagine it being that high) is a pretty big deal since the speed is the major selling point.
    Last edited by Falconius; 01-03-2018 at 01:32 PM.

I've had my eye on a Ryzen for when I next upgrade (not sure when that'll be, though). They seem to have excellent performance for the price, in comparison to Intel. My PC is four years old now, but I bought a pricey i7 last upgrade (bought it through my work, and got something off it) and it's still feels pretty snappy, so I'm not rushing to upgrade yet... though if I experience a big slow down, maybe?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I had to look up Rizen, as I am so woefully out of date on pc build info.
    Which lead me to look up when my last build was [3 years or so].
    Which then leads to the question, how frequently do most people upgrade a computer?
    I seem to not do it any more frequently then about 5-6 years, due to the cost.

There was a time when I'd rebuild every 3 or 4 years, with the odd upgrade in between. These days maybe every 5 and even then only to about the lower to middle of mid-range specs although I always go for as much RAM as I can. I used to always say "I'll never fill that." whenever I bought a new hard drive as a joke but I don't think I've ever fully filled a 500GB one save for that one time there was an error in my system that filled my logfile in about 10 minutes. Saying that I usually run several drives in the same system. I have only ever used AMD CPUs in my self-builds, simply because the motherboards tended to be a little cheaper for some reason.

I'm not a power user or a high end gamer so I don't really need the latest tera-peta floppity bongohertz per chicken processor and a 40 dozen trillion eggshell polygon shaders per almond graphics card.

Well there's my problem. The fact that this machine is only 3 years old is a consequence of timing.

I only ever bothered upgrading every 10 years or so before this one, and was hoping to get at least anther 5 out of this laptop before I needed to get something else.

The sheer speed at which problems evolve these days is passing me by. I just can't afford to upgrade that fast.

No problem. I'll go back to canvas and paint, and the same kind of people who are currently making it impossible for the really little 'guy' like me to carry on with digital art the way I have been in the past, will just have to buy my extortionately priced framed prints if they want to see into my dreams after that

I shouldn't worry too much Mouse. The processes used to 'predict' and therefore speed up which machine instructions will be used next are used by many processors. AMD's just haven't been exploited yet. Software will have to 'downgrape' to compensate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast