Thread: WIP Putting some more detail into Eoberath!

Wip WIP Putting some more!

Some of you may have seen chunks of this map, or the whole thing floating around here, but I'm trying now to add more details to it, which is usually the point where I start to dislike the maps I make haha. I'm struggling with this one to work rivers into it, and would love some critique/advice.

Thanks a million,
    Last edited by Aerlinon; 08-12-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Some tips on rivers:
    1. Rivers flow downhill. Most of your rivers will start at one of your mountain ranges and flow to the ocean. Along the way tributaries may join together, but they will never split apart (aside from very small islands in the stream, or if there is a delta at the river's mouth).

2. Cities are often built on rivers, so if you know you want a major city -- especially a trade-based city -- in a certain spot, you should think about making sure a river goes through that spot. Also think about the way the rivers link cities and realms. Trade flows easily along a river, so two cities on the same river will likely have close relations of some sort. Also, spots where a short overland portage is possible between two river systems can be key nodes.

3. You have a substantial north-south mountain range in the center, so that's likely to generate some rain shadow. (Assuming here that the planet is the same size, with the same direction of rotation, as the earth.) I presume the Winterlands are above the arctic circle, but I don't know how far south your continent goes. If it's all in the mid-latitudes, you would have more rain falling on the west side of the mountains than the east, so that will affect your rivers.

Thanks so much for the advice, really helped me start to figure things out, went back and revised and posted the WIP above, hope you can share some comments again!

Looking good! In Phiria it looks like you have two rivers that flow from the ocean to the ocean on the other side. That wouldn't happen in real life -- rivers flow downhill, and the ocean is all at the same level. I would figure out where the highest point is along the river, and break it into two streams flowing in opposite directions from that high point.

Ooh, thanks. I fixed that. Now I'm going to split this image into 3 or 4 smaller sections with scale and such
    ..I don't have the brain power to try to make this equirectangular for scale as is