Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hellsing map [from an old challenge]

Map Hellsing map [from an old challenge]

Back in October 2016, we had a Halloween challenge that was based on vampires.
    As is often the case, I try to start a map for many of the challenges.
    I don't always make a wip thread right away because i don't know if I'll have time to finish.

This was one of those. I started, got a good ways into it, and quickly realized I could not finish on time.
    So I never made a wip thread. But, I do still try to work on them as time goes by.
    It's always harder if too much time passes. That was the case here.
    It is actually more illustration than map, but I'll post it anyways.

I decided to go with the vampire in the Hellsing manga/anime, Alucard.
    Which is a not too clever reversal of Dracula.
    I just really enjoyed the anime. I enjoy the guy who does the voiceover for the english dub.
    Some anime I watch in Japanese, but others not.

Anyways, this was fun, generally speaking, to work on.
    I got to mess with lots of interesting things in here.
    The map part is supposed to show a new series of vampire outbreaks as the spread across Europe heading into the UK and Ireland, thus bringing in the Hellsing Organization.
    I was going to do more with conflict between Hellsing and Iscariot, but, well, it didn't happen.
    Here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hellsing Map by sirinkman3.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	103270

That’s excellent quality, and I really love the colour palette on the map and his coat - it’s a great balance for such strong colours.
    "Mind is Emergent of Matter"

It's superb, John ! I really love your "globe-like" views. Your talents of illustrator are more than obvious here : Hell that's nightmarish !

Quote Originally Posted by MPG View Post
    That’s excellent quality, and I really love the colour palette on the map and his coat - it’s a great balance for such strong colours.
    Thanks MPG It was tricky with such a limited palette and strong colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's superb, John ! I really love your "globe-like" views. Your talents of illustrator are more than obvious here : Hell that's nightmarish !
    Thanks Ilanthar I was going for a pretty monstrous look, as the character does get pretty dramatic at some points.
    I have a full globe that I may do some more with.
    I decided early that I would render a full globe and then zoom in on part for the vampire map.
    That way I could use the globe map for other things later.

It's true that it is more illustration than a map, but really cool nonetheless. Now THIS is a color palette I can get behind!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Absolute beauty. I love the colours and perspective of the map. The 1000 eyes give me the creeps, so i don't have to tell that this is "bloody" excellent illustration ')
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Well that's terrifying! Great looking map John! I love the whole presentation.

J i love all your maps, your style is so good. You always use nice fonts

1) There is no country called Macedonia, it should be F.Y.R.O.M
    2) Serbia is not that big, Kosovo is independent and is recognized by majority

Nice one John !

Quote Originally Posted by -NoXoN- View Post
    J i love all your maps, your style is so good. You always use nice fonts

1) There is no country called Macedonia, it should be F.Y.R.O.M
    2) Serbia is not that big, Kosovo is independent and is recognized by majority
    You are right about the Kososvo, but Macedonia (name) is also regognized by majority right now. I can understand Greece dispute about the name, but just because one country doesn't regognize it, it does not mean all will call it as Greece wants. Quite sad from Greece perspective, but true nevertheless. FYROM means The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and it is temporary name used to address the country during official UN meetings untill both "FYROM" and Greece find a solution to the problem. Untill then i don't think whole world will be changing name to a temporary one. Even if, we should call it Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia not FYROM (out of respect, the abbreviation sounds awful)

That beeing said, let's keep in mind that when we map our Earth we choose to map a certain era of our civilization. J.E. maybe picked a year when there was still no independent Kosovo on the map :/
    I personally see a lot of Europe maps without Poland. As sad as it is for me, i can understand that because there was no Poland in the Europe for 123 years after partitions of Poland.

There is also hard to include small countries on the map like Lichtenstein, Andorra or Luxemburg from cleanness perspective. We can never put the name withing the countries' boundaries ;(
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast