Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hellsing map [from an old challenge]

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    It's true that it is more illustration than a map, but really cool nonetheless. Now THIS is a color palette I can get behind!
    Hehe, I know right ? I am not known for my dark color maps.
    I have a dark scifi one sitting around my hard drive waiting to be completed.
    It's a blue theme with a bit of outer space going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Absolute beauty. I love the colours and perspective of the map. The 1000 eyes give me the creeps, so i don't have to tell that this is "bloody" excellent illustration ')
    Thanks Voolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Well that's terrifying! Great looking map John! I love the whole presentation.
    Thank you Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by -NoXoN- View Post
    J i love all your maps, your style is so good. You always use nice fonts

1) There is no country called Macedonia, it should be F.Y.R.O.M
    2) Serbia is not that big, Kosovo is independent and is recognized by majority
    Thanks NoXoN
    I didn't realize the FYRO part was important.
    Obviously that isn't going to fit in there now though. Well, idk.. maybe I could fit it in there.
    The Kosovo part - I just didn't notice that. I was referencing Bing maps, I think.
    I did see the dotted line but didn't know it was to be separate.
    I am pretty sure I can't fit that in there, unless the type was really small.
    Obviously neither of those was intentional.
    Idk, maybe I will fiddle with it and see what can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Nice one John !
    Thanks Thomas
    You are right about the Kososvo, but Macedonia (name) is also regognized by majority right now. I can understand Greece dispute about the name, but just because one country doesn't regognize it, it does not mean all will call it as Greece wants. Quite sad from Greece perspective, but true nevertheless. FYROM means The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and it is temporary name used to address the country during official UN meetings untill both "FYROM" and Greece find a solution to the problem. Untill then i don't think whole world will be changing name to a temporary one. Even if, we should call it Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia not FYROM (out of respect, the abbreviation sounds awful)

That beeing said, let's keep in mind that when we map our Earth we choose to map a certain era of our civilization. J.E. maybe picked a year when there was still no independent Kosovo on the map :/
    I personally see a lot of Europe maps without Poland. As sad as it is for me, i can understand that because there was no Poland in the Europe for 123 years after partitions of Poland.

There is also hard to include small countries on the map like Lichtenstein, Andorra or Luxemburg from cleanness perspective. We can never put the name withing the countries' boundaries ;(
    It's true that it can be hard to fit some of the names for some in there.
    Especially when some of the smallest lands have the longest names.
    Lichtenstein does come to mind.
    In the end, this is not really a political map or one for navigating or any other accuracy related purpose.
    It's based on an manga/anime about a super vampire working for the British government/aristocracy.

If I may, Andorra is not really a country. It's more like a duty free without an airport ... At least, that's how we saw it when I was a student.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    If I may, Andorra is not really a country. It's more like a duty free without an airport ... At least, that's how we saw it when I was a student.
    Not sure what you mean by "duty free without an airport". I see Andorra listed as country in many sources. It has its own flag, anthem, government etc. so i guess it is a country. but then again, i dont know any history of Andorra...
    Last edited by Voolf; 01-13-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

As others have said this is a spledid map and illustration.

Personally, not living in Europe, I doupt many people know what FYROM is but they might be more familiar with Macedonia because we know Alexander of Macedonia.

Its also a pretty akward name in my opinion.

Not sure what you mean by "duty free without an airport". I see Andorra listed as country in many sources. It has its own flag, anthem, government etc. so i guess it is a country. but then again, i dont know any history of Andorra...
    It was a little joke. When you go to Andorra, there are very few taxes on booze and other stuff. People are limited by law with what they carry but if the custom doesn't stop them, they can carry as much as they want. As a student, studying in Toulouse (2h away from Andorra), we used to make raids for the parties. It's definitely country, the Princedom of Andorra (the french president is, by tradition, the vice-prince of Andorra). And it's a tax paradise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12