Thread: Commission for a Map: January 19, 2018

Map Commission for a Map: January 19, 2018

Commission - TAKEN

A cartographer has already been selected to work on this commission.

Paid: The publishing press will spend up to $500 EACH for the creation of two maps within the same world (one is the world map, and the other is a detailed map for a continent). Payments will be made through PayPal.

Subject

I am starting a commission on behalf of a publishing press. Due to confidentiality purposes, I can only share details about the press and details about the map's sketches via personal email.
    The world map is for a planet that is a little larger than Earth. It has 19 continents and hundreds of islands. It is a map for a high fantasy world.
    The other map is for a continent within the world (one of the 19 continents). It is quite long from north to south but not ridiculously wide. This 2nd map, however, is very detailed, in that every land region is defined and there is a fair number of kingdoms, cities, towns, and villages.
    The scale of the maps are tricky. The world map is 240,000,000 square miles. For the 2nd map, the continent is about 2500 miles long from south to north.

Style

The following style is preferred for the world map - https://eduscapes.com/sessions/maps/mapmakersseries.jpg
    The following style is preferred for the continent map - https://img00.deviantart.net/a9b3/i/...as-d89uf1j.jpg
    Hyper-realistic maps are preferred.

Quality & Size

Map must be professional.
    Attention to detail is important.
    This map is required for physical print in a novel.
    Dimensions of map: 3000 pixels by 4500 pixels
    Vector or Raster maps will work, as long as zooming into a portion of the map with reasonable pixelation is possible (as this map will be available on a Wikia page).

Time Constraints: A finished product is needed by the end of May 2018.

Copyright

- The publisher will assume full copyright for the commissioned work, but the artist will retain use for portfolio purposes.
    - A lawyer will create an art commission contract to send to you.

Contact Details

If you want to discuss the possibility of work, please send an email to "makeit098 [at] gmail.com".
    Last edited by deadwick; 01-19-2018 at 06:43 PM.

There are some contradictions in you request.

First, I don't think the style you chose is a very good fit for a black and white map. (I assume it's black and white since it cost less to print, but correct me if I'm wrong since it was not specified)
    It has a lot of details/textures and can be hard to render in a map for a book.
    It's also definitely not suitable for a vector map. Barebone, vectors are points and lines liking them. This style has a lot of texturing. The default Google map is made in vectors. satellite images are raster.
    Also, I don't understand why zooming is a necessity since readers won't be able to. They won't be able to see the details unless the map is pretty large.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    There are some contradictions in you request.

First, I don't think the style you chose is a very good fit for a black and white map. (I assume it's black and white since it cost less to print, but correct me if I'm wrong since it was not specified)
    It has a lot of details/textures and can be hard to render in a map for a book.
    It's also definitely not suitable for a vector map. Barebone, vectors are points and lines liking them. This style has a lot of texturing. The default Google map is made in vectors. satellite images are raster.
    Also, I don't understand why zooming is a necessity since readers won't be able to. They won't be able to see the details unless the map is pretty large.
    Thank you for the response. The information has been updated accordingly.