Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Untitled Commission (WIP)

Default Untitled Commission (WIP)

Hi all. I haven't been doing too much map making recently, but I have been working on this commission for a little while.

I'd love to get your feedback.
    So far the border is sort of a placeholder, what do you think of it?

Let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled commission.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	103657

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

The map itself is great

But...

The frame is dark and fuzzy, and doesn't seem to relate to anything in the map. I also think the font is too square and blocky - a bit too sci-fi for a fantasy map. Its also not that easy to read where its white with a black outline.

It might be a personal taste thing here, but I really don't like it!

I think the frame would look better if it included more of the colours of the map, and wasn't so generally dark.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Hey Josiah, great to see you working on another piece!

I think Mouse hit the nail on the head really. I don't have quite such strong opinions on the border, but equally I don't think it'd hurt to have a little play around with it to maybe make it pop out a bit more in the darker parts of the sea. (I don't like how the country division crosses the border at the top though).

Font-wise, the smaller font works, but as Mouse says, that larger font is a bit too incongruous with the rest. A bit sci-fi maybe, or maybe something slightly Old Westy, but either way, I'd go for something different.

Love your choice of greeny palette, but it might be nice to throw in a few bursts of dark red in the symbols or font to balance things out a little. Whatever the case, I'm sure it'll look mighty fine at the end.

Anywho, overall it's looking pretty neat, just those few nitpicks. Look forwards to seeing more!

I've taken the advice from Greg and Mouse and tweaked those things, as well added an experimental ice cap. What are your thoughts on the ice?

Things I've done
    -Changed the border to something very simple
    -Changed the font for the nations
    -Added dark reddish brown to the font
    -Experimental ice

Name:	Untitled commission.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	103820

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The map itself is great

But...

The frame is dark and fuzzy, and doesn't seem to relate to anything in the map. I also think the font is too square and blocky - a bit too sci-fi for a fantasy map. Its also not that easy to read where its white with a black outline.

It might be a personal taste thing here, but I really don't like it!

I think the frame would look better if it included more of the colours of the map, and wasn't so generally dark.

I agree with you Mouse, I scrapped it and have a very simple border for now, but I might do something slightly fancier.

I've also changed the font according to your feedback, I think it's better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hey Josiah, great to see you working on another piece!

I think Mouse hit the nail on the head really. I don't have quite such strong opinions on the border, but equally I don't think it'd hurt to have a little play around with it to maybe make it pop out a bit more in the darker parts of the sea. (I don't like how the country division crosses the border at the top though).

Font-wise, the smaller font works, but as Mouse says, that larger font is a bit too incongruous with the rest. A bit sci-fi maybe, or maybe something slightly Old Westy, but either way, I'd go for something different.

Love your choice of greeny palette, but it might be nice to throw in a few bursts of dark red in the symbols or font to balance things out a little. Whatever the case, I'm sure it'll look mighty fine at the end.

Anywho, overall it's looking pretty neat, just those few nitpicks. Look forwards to seeing more!
    The border was a very hurried test, I didn't even notice that country border there.

Yes, I think you're right with that one, I believe it was a western font, actually a placeholder when I first added the text and I didn't even think of changing it.

Good eye for the color tones, I've added some dark reddish browns to the font, do you think it's better?

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Even the simple frame is a big improvement on the first one. Its much more part of the map this time.

The font is a huge improvement

This is just a suggestion - I'm not entirely sure about the ice cap thing. Maybe it would look a bit more convincing if it had a bevel, or some kind of line drawing defining it a bit better? Where the land has a definite sculpted edge by the way you've drawn it with little cliffs here and there, the ice could maybe do with the same kind of treatment, but not as pronounced?

Definitely not trying to argue with Mouse, but I personally LOVE the ice! I feel it's a good way to capture the ice on the surface, as well as the glaciers below the surface. That being said, I'm a complete noobie and don't exactly know what she means by beveling and line drawing, but I suspect she's (you're a she right?? lol if not, oops my apologies Mouse!) correct. With her experience, I would go with what she says!

I also really love the simplicity of your shore lines with the single, broken lighter color. Overall it's beautiful. Best wishes!
    ~ whisper

I'm a girl mouse, Whisper, but I'm never offended by stuff like that, because you just can't tell in online conversations

More importantly perhaps, never fear to disagree with people, no matter how many rep points or shiny things they have around their avatar. It says I'm a Sage, but that's only because I've made over 5000 comments here at the Guild. All it really means is that I can talk the hind legs off about ten donkeys all at the same time. It doesn't actually qualify me as any kind of an actual expert in anything at all cartographic. It just means that when I'm feeling well I'm an incurable chatterbox!

Plus - if we all had the same opinion about everything all the time then this world would be pretty dull!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm a girl mouse, Whisper, but I'm never offended by stuff like that, because you just can't tell in online conversations

More importantly perhaps, never fear to disagree with people, no matter how many rep points or shiny things they have around their avatar. It says I'm a Sage, but that's only because I've made over 5000 comments here at the Guild. All it really means is that I can talk the hind legs off about ten donkeys all at the same time. It doesn't actually qualify me as any kind of an actual expert in anything at all cartographic. It just means that when I'm feeling well I'm an incurable chatterbox!

Plus - if we all had the same opinion about everything all the time then this world would be pretty dull!
    hahahah! I just had a feeling you were a "girl Mouse!!!" I too am a "chatterbox" I can't help it, it's just in my nature. And you are quite right, if we all thought the same thing the world would be boring indeed.
    ~ whisper

Wow, it's been too long. Only a small update here, mostly small tweaks, including a city that is now floating. The map is being wrapped up and I'd love some feedback!

Name:	Five Provinces.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	105915

Let me know what you think!

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I can't see anything to tweak, Josiah

Well.... umm... maybe just one very tiny itsy bitsy thing that's really pathetic thing to pick on... but...

There's a road coming towards/into Kiva from the east that just happens to coincide with the pale ledge around the outside of Kiva's icon. At this scale it slightly damages the impression of the floating city by making it appear as if the road goes straight from the ground to the ledge.

Well, I did tell you it was just a really pathetic thing to pick on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast