Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coloring grasslands

Ok

To open a second file (the parchment) in your main map, open your main map first, then just click "File/Open as layers".

Pick a decent sized parchment file (bigger than the map), and when you have imported it right click the new parchment layer in the layer stack and pick "Layer to image size". This will trim the edges of the parchment to exactly fit the map.

Scaling smaller pieces of parchment up to fit your map is definitely to be avoided, since this tends to lead to all kinds of problems with pixilation, which is where the parchment starts to look fuzzy and blocky compared to the rest of the map. Its practically incurable, so best not go down that road

Another way to add a file as a new layer:
    - Have your map open in GIMP
    - Drag and drop the file into the GIMP window
    GIMP will open the new file as a new layer in the current image

(I've dragged and dropped bundles of twenty files at a time and GIMP chugs right through them, opening each file as a new layer.)

I've set it as multiply over the other layers (thanks Mouse, you've got some useful parchments!). But now I don't what to do... The parchment doesn't seem to be much visible, it looks like just a brownish color. I tried adding other colors over it but it doesn't seem to have the texture...
    Did I do something wrong???????

Hmm, I am learning a lot every day from GIMP. Hopefully I'll get a nice grassy ground if I mess with everything....

When you add another layer over the parchment and start to add the grass colours as described above by Meshon and RobA in overlay mode you will begin to see how the texture helps roughen the grass even more.

That's the theory anyway. If you are having trouble with it maybe show us a sample?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Oh that's brilliant, Josiah!

Thanks for sharing!

He doesn't mention it in the tutorial, but it looks like he does all this on a parchment background?

(Sorry - I don't have PS to be able to download the actual file and see it for myself)

Yes, Josiah, I'd tried to use that tutorial, but unfortunately for some reason I can't see the images there anymore, and I kinda got muddled and looked for help here instead. Ill try it again

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Yes, Josiah, I'd tried to use that tutorial, but unfortunately for some reason I can't see the images there anymore, and I kinda got muddled and looked for help here instead. Ill try it again
    Hm, that's strange. I found the same tutorial on Deviantart, if that helps: https://torstan.deviantart.com/art/H...ands-294460878

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Aha! Thank you!
    Btw what's colour jitter? Is it just the apply jitter box in the tools box?
    And I think I've put a wrong parchment. Does a brownish parchment work as background??
    I've no idea what mess I'm doing. Guess I'll have to post the map here? or a piece of it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast