Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coloring grasslands

Help Coloring grasslands

I'm working on my second map with GIMP ( a personal map from my novel) and I was wondering if any of you know of a good way to make a special grassland effect? I don't want the map to be OTT, rather simple instead.... i've tried a few times, and I can't do anything right...
    Wonder when I'll get that professional look on my maps that all these artists on the Guild manage to get...
    Thanks in advance

You could use a parchment texture in the background. That could help a lot. You don't need the colour just the texture.

Hum I suppose that would help. Just hope it won't hurt my seas...
    Thank you! I'll see if I can find one...

Uh... i forgot the most important thing. How do I do that?

How do you do what?

Add a parchment texture to the background, or find a parchment texture?

I have a selection you can choose from - which I recommend you use at the size they are if you do. They are on the link in my signature.

Others also have parchment selections I'm sure they will volunteer in time, and you may find a few in the Mapping Elements forum

If you import the parchment as a new layer (File/Open as layers), you can then either replace the current background with it, or leave it on top of the layer stack and change the mode to overlay, or multiply.

Blog Entries

what style are you using

i am guessing not something like mine

https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...1&d=1516600328
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I tend to use a combination of "grassy" blotchy colours and a few grass icons scattered around (custom gimp brush). Here is an example area from a recent commission I just finished:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grasslands_cr.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	103712

-Rob A>

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

For the base fill on grassy areas I use a setting that's called Color Dynamics that basically switches between the foreground and background colours, and nearby tones, within a single brush stroke. With a really rough grunge brush and maybe green and brown as your colours, you can get a good base down. I go over the grass with lighter green or darker brown to build up some topography, and then I use little lines to suggest grass (I've been trying to copy Mike Schley's use of lines for texture).

Here's an example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steelHordeZoom.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	103741

This is zoomed way in so hopefully you can see some of what's going on in the brushes.

I tried to figure out what Color Dynamics is called in GIMP but I am not 100% sure. Any experts can enlighten me? Thanks!

Cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    I tried to figure out what Color Dynamics is called in GIMP but I am not 100% sure. Any experts can enlighten me? Thanks!
    I won'r profess to be a GIMP export, but it would be under Paint Dynamics https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-dynamics.html

Specifically, there is a preset called "Random Colour", where the colour will be randomly picked from the currently active gradient, so if you pick the FG-BG gradient it should give similar results.

I'd also enable jitter which will scatter the paint splotches around, rather then in a line.

-Rob A.

Thank you all! Haha, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the suggestions, I'll try and see which one will do the effect I like. And sorry for not being clear Mouse, i meant how to add parchment as layer
    @johnvanvliet No, I'm coloring a map I've scanned with gimp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast